Sunday, 2 December 2012

Advent 2: The First Finish of December

Last year when my friend Susan decided to run a swap for Modern Christmas Table Runners I had to decline an invite to join in because of the amount of home made Christmas presents I was making and the likelihood I would not be able to make the deadline if I got a lurgy (I always seem to before Christmas) or the snow cut me off from civilisation and the post office. But the minute the deadline passed and I hadn't signed up I really regretted it. So this year when it was the second round of the swap I decided to join in.

Then I took forever to get started and once I did I got ill and for the first time ever I'm late with the swap.  I tried to catch up with some commenting last night in the group and noticed that most of the group seem to be in the same position so I feel a bit better for not getting my runner in the post until tomorrow.

It is finished though. With a few short cuts that I'm on the whole happy with and hope my partner will be too.


P1130352

I decided to use my new machine for the first time to stipple quilt it. This is about the third time I've stippled and I think possibly my worse effort. I'd only stippled on the Brother machine before, which I found a nightmare for regular sewing but a joy to use for this kind of fmq work. I think it would have helped me greatly if I'd managed to get the quilting extension table for my new machine assembled and maybe being unwell and a bit weak made it harder to manipulate the fabric?  I don't think I can really blame the machine.  

I had intended perle quilting by hand around the stars, however with time against me I'm going to leave it with stippling alone.  Can those of you with more experience than me explain why I've got these funny eyelash looking bits on the back? I assume it's something to do with tension but I had the machine set to auto tension as the manual recommended.  I didn't notice this effect when I've stippled before and not sure how to correct it for future FMQ projects.

P1130353

I'm hoping these eyelashes won't be too noticeable with the pattern of the back material - which is a Basic Grey design I've forgotten the name of.

The other shortcut I took was I machined on the binding. I had sewn the binding on the front as normal and then the thought of having to hand stitch the back down just made me feel exhausted. So I zigzagged it on the back - which of course does show through on the front. But as I'd used a sketch fabric for the binding it's not that noticeable unless you get your nose right up to it. And really, rarely does my work bear that kind of scrutiny! The other thing I struggled with doing this method was the corners. I've got white dense patches where the zig zagging refused to budge on from each corner. But as it's on each of the four corners it sort of looks deliberate...sort of. The bottom line is I am actually really pleased with this table runner and would happily keep it and display it so I'm hoping these little niggles don't spoil it for my partner.


First Finish of December

I had already made a decoration to send with the table runner as per the swap instructions. So once I've wrapped this up to look all festive, both will be in the mail tomorrow.  I can then start getting excited for mine to arrive!


EPP Christmas bauble





16 comments:

  1. I think it looks brilliant. No idea about the eyelashes, but who is going to look at the back when the front is so gorgeous? Well done you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great wee package for your partner there :o) I've just got my first SS swap item done, one more (for someone else) to go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have had plenty of eyelashes (great discription )and will be looking to see how it is corrected !!! and i have twiddled with the tension too !!

    the runner is lovely and i would not look at the back with such a gorgeous front

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is one gorgeous table runner - seriously lucky partner. No idea about the eye lashes - sorry! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those eyelashes might be the result of moving the fabric too quickly for what the tension setting can cope with. But the runner looks amazing, well done on your finish. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, it looks lovely. I have had those eyelashes before, I found that if I moved my fabric around slower it doesn't happen as much. Headphones help as you don't hear the machine which makes you go faster I think

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's really lovely! I find that leaving my feed dogs up helps with the eyelashes. They really don't get in the way when FMQing, and help with the tension.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks wonderful ... got mine yesterday xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks wonderful, eyelashes and all! If I were in the swap I would be way more than happy to receive it - now relax, a little xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The table runner may have eyelashes but I am sue tat they winked at me. The table runner wants to live with me (I am sure it does) however if it bypasses me ten I'm sure that your partner will be delighted with it. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the table runner and the decoration. The one who gets them will be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. re the eyelashes - I'm with everyone else - it is a question of matching your machine speed to your hands - so either slow down your hand movements or speed up your machine on the corners and it will be perfect!

    I don't think anyone will be looking at the winks however Jan - it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful! I agree with all the comments about the eyelashes and how to get rid of them next time and I wonder if you've tried rubbing the machine bed with furniture polish (just ordinary Pledge/Mr Sheen will be fine) to make it a bit more slippy if you're still struggling to move the fabric once you're well...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agreeing with the hand/machine speed co-ordination with the eyelashes. I have fast hands (shut it) so my machine sounds like a machine gun rattling away at top speed when I FMQ. But, really, it is a gorgeous runner. Never fear, partner will be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't offer any advice on the FMQ but I can tell you the runner is great! Love the stars. I was just dreaming of starting a star quilt. I have some ancient figgy pudding that I really need to cut into. It's sure not being put to good use in my cupboard.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the way this turned out! You are always so inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)