Saturday, 29 December 2012

The drama continues

I most be going through one of those patches, that everyone goes through from time to time. You know where everything that can go wrong seems to go wrong. Firstly though I had a lovely Christmas Day. Mum absolutely loved the quilt I made her and was shocked and surprised at how I'd kept that secret.


P1130509ps

Things started going down hill on Boxing Day. I developed a sore throat, which has turned into a stinking cold. Just what you don't need when you're on antibiotics for another infection and have low iron.  Mum and I went down to my brothers for lunch and had a lovely day despite everything. 

P1130548ps
Boxing Day I gave my niece the rubbish hit and miss quilt.  I'd caught the fabric in the backing in a sort of horrible pucker not noticed until after I'd finished sewing the binding on which was another shit thing about it. I decided it was too crap to give as a proper present so she got handed this in a carrier bag with the proviso she could bin it if she wanted.

Boxing Day night Mum said she was off to bed and went to fill the kettle for a hot water bottle. I heard a really loud crash and thought that one of the bins had been blown over in the gales or something. I called to Mum and got no answer. When I went to investigate she was collapsed unconscious on the bathroom floor. I dialled 999 and she came round during the first call.  To cut a long story short it took an effing hour and fifteen minutes from the first call to 999 for the ambulance to arrive!  They did various tests and said the ECG showed that she's possibly had a heart attack in the past. But they didn't know what had caused this episode. They offered to take her in but said there would be a long wait. I told them she'd stay at home. After all if it takes over an hour to get an ambulance 'under emergency conditions' then they'd probably get round to us in A & E sometime in 2013.  I said I'd take her to the doctors the next day. So they sat and filled in release forms and left the ECG read outs and went on their way.

Her own GP was more helpful the next day. He said if it happened again call 999 again. (Which made me smile as it's hardly the emergency service I thought it was.) and he's referring her to a clinic in hospital in the New Year. He said the portable ECG machines aren't that reliable and he doesn't think she's ever had a heart attack - which is a big relief.  Of course I've been pretty crap looking after her feeling so rubbish myself.

Then today Chief phoned with more bad news. He's had the Noro Virus the past few days. But has heard that his Dad's cancer has spread and they've given him 2 weeks to live. There is no treatment that will help. It's taken the shine off Chief having a minor mention (so minor they don't put it in the papers.) in the New Years Honours list. 

All this going on means any Bee blocks I hoped to catch up on over the Christmas break are unlikely to happen now.  I don't know when I'll next sew. It doesn't feel right now like I'll ever sew again. I've not even been tempted by the many fabric sales going on.  So I'm sorry that everything will be so late.

Hope you all had a fab Christmas though x o x

25 comments:

  1. I really don't know what to say Jan as everything I might say just seems so lame in the face of so much going on in your life. But I truly do hope that things will turn around soon. I hope your mum's condition is discovered and stabilised soon too.

    Like I said, it'll sound lame, but if you'd like me to be "angel" for your hipBees blocks, just drop them in the post and I'll take care of them for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jan, what a time you are having. Your poor mum, you must have got an awful fright, hope she, and you, feel better soon.
    Bad news is bad whenever, but always seems a bit more heightened at this time of year - I know what Sarah means, there really isn't much to say that doesn't sound lame - just take care.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dreadful time for you. I know that you're not a "proper" friend, as I only found you through the Christmas Runner Swap, but I do feel like we're "almost friends". I firmly believe in the words "this, too, shall pass", and you WILL come out the other side, and all will be fine. Stay strong. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jan, you are having a really rough time. I really hope you and your mum have a speedy recovery. Hopefully the new year will bring better news. Take care of yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll angel your Brit Stingy blocks so don't worry about that! Just look after yourself and those precious people who are important to you!

    Sorry life seems to be giving you such a kick in the pants! I had hoped things would get better for you! Big virtual hug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have handled these and other recent disasters with courage and kindness. That is admirable.
    Firstly I think something must be done about the ambulance service being so poor. That is well below the standard in developed countries. While it may take two or three days in some remote regions here, in the big cities twenty minutes is considered an acceptable wait. I encourage you to write to the newspapers, the television current affairs programs, and your local member and really raise a stink. If this had been Prince Philip, do you think he would have had to wait so long? No indeed, and his family are residents just like yours. You are worth better service than this and so is every person in Britain.
    Secondly, the other problems will sort themselves out. I am very touched that you are sharing your concerns about your father-in-law. He should have received better medical advice prior to this. He now needs lots and lots of love. You are certainly one person who shows love every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, finding the right words is really difficult but I want you to know that you are in my thoughts, you, your Mum, Chief and his Dad. Did x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about all the rubbish stuff going on. I hope both you and your mum feel stronger soon. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. big hugs to you, jan. Hope your mum is doing ok and that you catch a break soon. Take it easy if you can x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh sweary words :o( My granny had a stroke on the 22nd, but north Staffs seems more on the ball, as she got taken in quickly. Hope things get better in 2013, and at least Chref's dad got to see him get the mention in the honours list, which may be a small comfort, but it's something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jan I'm so sorry to hear of your many troubles. You, your mom, Chief and his dad are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really don't have good words either. I am wishing the best that is possible to you and your family, mums and dads and all. I wish that you had better news and were feeling better, do take care of yourself and your family and let those around you help where they can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Jan, it is just so not fair that all this crap is being piled on you, one thing after another. I wish there was some way of helping you. Any time you want to talk, moan, vent, whatever then please know that I am here to listen. Hope that things in 2013 improve massively.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jan, I am so sorry to hear your news. I don't know what to say, other than if you need any help with any bee commitments or anything else please just let me know. Sending you hugs xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please Jan - look after yourself and your mum of course. So sorry to hear your mum is unwell and I hope the docs get to the root of her recent collapse. I's so sorry to hear about Chief's dad and my thoughts are with you all. Don't worry about the bee blocks - you know everyone will understand. Hugs. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. There will be an end to this storm, and life will go on. The sun will even come out and shine. You will even remember what you loved about sewing and quilting. Hang in there and remember you are loved, and we're rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I seriously think its one you had a break from bad news! Ill we sending good hours your way. I hope 2013 is a better year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I seriously think its one you had a break from bad news! Ill we sending good hours your way. I hope 2013 is a better year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is so hard when bad times come one after the other, Just wishing you lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you can put 2012 behind you and that 2013 will be much better. Congratulations to Chief, at least there was some good news amongst the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh no, that doesn't sound good. Is your mum OK now?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Jan, I don't really know what to say either. Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you, and all your loved ones. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. You guys have had such a rough time. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete