I sewed the hexies together this morning before lunch. I have decided that 1" hexies might be the optimum size for quick basing and piecing. The longest bit for me is always deciding exactly which fabrics to use. In the above picture you can just see my quick fix to where I'd messed up the size of the back of the bag. I pieced together some small rainbow scraps (I am trying not to keep every teeny tiny scrap - but sometimes they do come in useful!) and trimmed them into a strip which I pieced between two bits of the linen. It gives the back a satisfying pop of colour.
I decided to go for the Erin McMorris - Summersault fabric for the lining. I thought it had a good mix of colours in it so it would work well with the rainbow hexies. Whilst you could use this side of the tote as a bag, I'm hoping my partner will like the 'proper' side so much she never wants to reverse it. In that case I think this fabric makes for a super cheery lining.
But onto the bag. Now first off I have to say I really struggled getting pictures in here as the light is so rubbish so I need to get some nicer pictures outside. So just believe me when I say this bag looks much lovelier in person.
Yep I need to get the big ironing board out and give this
a proper press!
The outside is interfaced with some fleece and then quilted with Perle in rainbow colours. Due to the space dyed nature of the linen not all the Perle shows up that well. It does give the bag a nice stiffness. (For those who like a stiff one.) It does however make the top seam much thicker than the lining and previous experience with bag making has taught me that it can be incredibly hard getting the material nice and flat to top stitch if the external material is much more substantial than the lining material (or vice versa). Therefore I opted for not turning the lining fully through. I let it sit on the top edge of the bag outer and gave it a good press. I did a layer of top stitching to close up the turned through hole and then another layer of top stitching nearer the top edge. Not only has this given a pop of lining colour to the top of the bag, it's also strengthened the join on the handles and made the handle material look more unified with the rest of the bag.
Now I just need to get these pictures in the Flickr group and hope my partner likes it. Or I'll be keeping this one!