Saturday, 26 January 2013

A Post With Actual Sewing In It!

Yes, people I have been sewing. Sewing for most of the day. When really I should have been hoovering the floor, decluttering, putting the ironed clothes away (not leaving them hung from drawer knobs and sat in piles in the living room) and all that other boring stuff.

I was so impatient for the vintage sheets to dry yesterday that I switched the iron to 'dry' and ironed them whilst they were still damp. So not only did they end up nice and crisp, but the last of the dampness was removed. I then started cutting, in not very long I had a big pile of 5" squares.


Squares cut

As I ironed and cut I couldn't stop singing the theme tune from Terry and June.  These retro fabrics remind me of all the vintage British sitcoms. I love watching them now for the social history side. I'll be glued to the telly looking at the wall paper (was it ever really fashionable to have a lounge diner as per George and Mildred and have the dining area with one hideous wallpaper and have a clashing one in the living room bit or was that purely George and Mildred's bad taste?), clothes and general feel of the time in which these programmes were made. 

Today I started piecing. I sewed random squares into two's, then four's and so on. Once I had 12 squares joined together I did another strip and eventually joined 12 of these strips together.  I then took the quilt top upstairs and laid it on my bed. (Where I proceeded to take a really rubbish picture because I was too lazy to go downstairs and swap camera lenses!)


sizing

Now if I had wadding, a suitable backing and binding I may well have stopped now and decided to get on with a nan nap quilt like Judith's. However, I have no wadding, no backing and binding, so there is no chance I can finish this this weekend. Soooooo I decided to go bigger. This will not be a nan nap quilt. Oh no. This will be a full on duvet day quilt.  



Vintage Sheet Quilt WIP

It's getting bigger!  I love how all the fabrics play together. The beauty of a quilt like this is you could take a fabric that might be fuggly in a big piece and it works when mixed in with others. 

I keep imagining the finished quilt, on my bed with me under it. Spring sunshine streaming through the window and everything right in the world. Today Chief was supposed to come down so we could finally have our Christmas together. I think I made the best use of the day without him. Must go I need to cut some more squares...




24 comments:

Charlotte said...

hooray for sewing! It's going to be so gorgeous to snuggle under :-D

Canadian Abroad said...

Ooops, even with your so called rubbish photo it looks scrummy, cuddly and lovely.

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's so lovely to see you sewing again and sounding chirpy! The quilt top is marvellous, what a great way to use all those vintage fabrics!

Strawberry Patch said...

Yay! So happy for you to be sewing, sod the chores!

Annabella said...

Looks like Mr.Mojo is sticking around and then some. You are going to have a fabulous quilt, which makes you happy and that's a good thing. Sorry you didn't get to see Chief but so happy you are sewing again. Yeah!

Second Chance Tan said...

ooooooo this is a great use of those fabrics x

Katy Cameron said...

*gasp* not real live actual sewing! Super efficient there though, I've got 1 1/5 of my keystones done out of the planned 6 for today, but I have finally done my tax return...

memmens said...

I think we can safely say your mojo has returned - wonderful news and a day well spent!

Catherine said...

Woo hop, so glad you are sewing, and it looks fantastic

Sarah said...

Lovely to hear you sound so happy! I love vintage, I would have loved to join in that swap but couldnt find a vintage sheet for love or money!!! Its going to be a really gorgeous quilt.

Sarah said...

Lovely to hear you sound so happy! I love vintage, I would have loved to join in that swap but couldnt find a vintage sheet for love or money!!! Its going to be a really gorgeous quilt.

Flying Blind... said...

Yay for the late night chopping - it looks very pretty and not at all like anything Terry and June would have!

Janet said...

You sound quite cheerful today! Love the vintage blocks together. Very pretty.

Sarah Lou said...

Beautiful! So glad you've got your sew-jo back :D

Judith, Belfast said...

A brilliant days work J! Love it! Jxo

Sarah said...

Hooray for ignoring the laundry and making a super snooze quilt top. Looks fabulous!

Nicky said...

Oh joy, Jan is sewing! Glad for you girl and who could resist those fabrics? Not you anyway....

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

Yay!!! Go Jan!
Beautiful quilt and it will be stunning on your bed :)
Go Jan!

Corinnea said...

Sounds like the best way to spend a day that you can't be with the one you love.... The quilt is awesome.

verykerryberry said...

That was quick! They look wonderful together, like a great big book of wall paper samples, really happy colours and prints

Indianna said...

That was quick, looks huge, yippee for the return of the mojo!

Cindy Sharp said...

Love it.

Lynz said...

Holy crap! When you go you really go, dontcha?!?! It is so, SO pretty. I also know how annoying it is to be waiting for backing and bindinig (batting too, in my case) coz I'm stuck on my mum's scrappy trip along. Keeping the momentum is hard!

thelittleroomofrachell said...

Really lovely colours, designs- everything!