Friday, 4 January 2013

Day by Day

For the last couple of years I've taken part in the photo a day project. I'd attempted and failed at it a couple of years before that. But determined I'd improve my photography and awareness around me I tackled it in 2011 and did pretty well. In 2012 inspired by Erin's journalling on her photos, I decided to do the same. It gives them more meaning and relevance and saves me the trouble of keeping a diary.

As I start 2013 I'm actually quite excited about this project. More so than anything else at the moment.


Hopeful dates
January 2nd

I'm not really a making resolutions sort of person. However, towards the end of last year I made a few decisions about how I'd like to live my life in 2013 and two words sprung to mind. 'Simply' and 'Frugally'. For the first part I think life can get too unnecessarily complicated these days and I enjoy it more when I keep it simple and I'm mindful of this. 

Frugality has been on my mind a lot over the last few months. Partly to do with lack of earnings while sick and the knowledge I have a new roof to buy. But also when I'm frugal life becomes more simple. It's not about being tight or stingy. I guess for me it encompasses lots of things. Not being wasteful, not hoarding or buying for the sake of it. 

A few days ago I went mad and piled up loads of fabric I wanted at Pink Castle Fabric. It was so cheap. Even with postage it was a steal. Then do you know what I did? I closed the tab without purchasing. I decided that wanting something is not the same as needing something. I reminded myself I have fabric bulging out of my drawers. I need to use up what I've got first and that's a challenge I'm excited about. When I cleared out a chest or drawers purely for fabric I decided, if all my stash didn't fit in these drawers, I had too much. Trying to push more into these drawers is stressful.  Each time I want to buy fabric just because I'm going to remind myself how much fun I'll have finding ways to use what I have and also shopping for new stash when there are great big gaps in those drawers. This doesn't mean I can't buy fabric. It just means I have to need it to finish something, not because I really really want it.

I will be looking further than my fabric stash. I have lots of card making stuff. I will be returning to making hand made cards (as I used to before everyone seemed to do this.) to use up the card stock and other craft materials I have. I will not be buying clothes just because I like something. My wardrobes are bulging. I will be buying when something wears out or is needed. As part of the living simply I'll be decluttering more. I'd intended to do lots of this over the Christmas holiday before I got the fluey virus.

I will be moving on my stash of book crossing availables. Whether that means taking to a meet up, passing on to friends or wild releasing.  I will re-evaluate the books I have on my to be read list mountain.  If I've had a book for a few years and not read it will I suddenly pick it up and read it now?

As for sewing - I hope to attempt some at the weekend. I have Bee Blocks to do! I'm resisting the urge to join the scrappy trip along - but hey don't the quilts all look great and wouldn't it be a fab way to bust some stash...?


14 comments:

  1. I think you have some fabulous ideas here for everyday living. I am flipping through my low volume charms from Rebecca while reading and contemplating what to do with them. Use what I have shall be my motto too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindfulness and knowing the difference between need and want is a good idea for all of us. I want to recycle more of my old clothes and turn them into useful things as sewing is a great way of doing precisely that. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, I am totally with you - I am stash busting this year - made a good start with 36 FQs of hoarded Denyse Schmidt, and aiming for one project a month with nothing but stash - remind me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. With you on all of that. I also did the same with the sale fabric: piled it all in and then couldn't justify hitting the purchse button. Just had to buy a new car too: so definitely no spare cash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo Jan, I like your thinking! I certainly have a new year pact to get ebaying. To rid this house of just 10% of the clutter would be a satisfying feeling, and a little bit of cash in paypal a nice icing on the cake :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thinking Jan.... what we need and what we want are so often two different things..... and sometimes when we have only had what we need for a while, and then get something extra we appreciate it all the more xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds eminently sensible and even has the potential for fun in the challenge of it all too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your list! I seriously have to get my 38 WIPs off my plate, and the huge commission bear, and I'm resisting signing up for anything else until much later in the year at least!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking the trip along would be a brilliant way for you to put a dent in your stash! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are having some of the same thoughts lately.... I too went shopping and then closed the window without purchasing.
    I am sorely tempted by the scrappy trip-along because it would use more of what I have...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about the fabric. I'm in the same boat. Way too much fabric and ideas and not enough time. Sounds like you're feeling a bit better??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is one of the best posts I have read this year and I love the sentiment behind it. There is great satisfaction in using what you have - upcycling is something I would like to do this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, my twin, you are very wise. I'm with you on the whole frugality thing, my goal for the year is better money management. I have no debt but every month have nothing by the last week. So, less spending for me.

    I am thinking about the tripalong just to bust the bigger scraps I have. Apparently it goes together quite quickly, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great sentiments Jan, simple is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)