Monday, 11 February 2013

Country Mushrooms

After seeing this picture on flickr as part of my project 365 a couple of you have asked me to blog about the recipe.


Lunch

I first had this many years ago at a neighbours when they did this as a starter.  We often increase quantities and have it as an indulgent lunch. Our neighbours reproduced the recipe when our village did a recipe book as a fundraiser. Originally I think it's a Michael Barry recipe.

  • Large Open Mushrooms. If you're doing this as a starter you may just want to do one per person. Above was for two of us for a lunch time snack.  (The big flat open ones are better than the ones you often see stuffed as in Portabello Mushrooms.)
  • A tablespoon of double cream per mushroom.
  • A generous knob of butter per mushroom.
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  • A table spoon of freshly chopped parsley per mushroom.
Remove the stalks of the mushrooms and place gill side up in a large oven proof dish.  Place a table spoon of cream in each mushroom. Some may run out but don't worry about that. Add a generous knob of butter to the centre of each mushroom and then season well with salt and black pepper.
Bake in the centre of a preheated oven at 425F/220C for about 15 minutes.  Sprinkle with the parsley and serve straight away with some lovely crusty bread to mop up the juices.  

Not good for those on a diet! But as occasional indulgent lunch I love it. Enjoy!





11 comments:

Di said...

Sounds yummy. Di x

Annabella said...

HMMMM.Yummy! I would probably stick a bit of garlic on them but if they are field mushrooms I'm sure they are delicious without anything!

Lyn said...

Oh they look lovely, maybe with a bit of garlic? X

Sarah said...

They look fab :-) Definitely one I'll try when mans home.

Charlotte said...

I am wiping the drool off my keyboard!

Nicky said...

Yum - must go and look for some mushrooms!

Flying Blind... said...

Making me hungry now!!!

Judith, Belfast said...

Ooooh! Yum! Lots of my favourite things in there! Jxo

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, that looks yummy! And with low fat creme fraiche instead of the cream *could* be diet friendly...

Francine said...

Um yes ma'am I WILL be trying this recipe!!! Yay!

Corinnea said...

Looks fantastic!