Saturday, 16 February 2013

I made a feather!!!!

Today has been one of those productive days I haven't had for a long while. I did the supermarket shop early and fitted a quick trip to Waterperry Gardens to get some pot grown crocus (I can see no sign of any coming up in my garden and suspect the wet weather we had last year has rotted the bulbs in the ground.). Then it was back to run a few errands before making up a big batch of Somerset Sausage Casserole for lunch. A big batch means I have some to freeze.  After that I decided I needed to pull up my big girl pants and get on with the January Bee Block.

Lucy requested the feather block by AMH. The first time I'd read the instructions it seemed to be written in a foreign language. Mainly because the pattern assumes you're making a quilt worth of feathers, not a Stingy Brit trying to make it out of scraps. I couldn't get my head round working out how to get the feather strips to run in the right direction. Di helpfully sent me some pictures. The best tip she gave me was staggering the scraps and I went with this method for making one side of the feather.


P1130868

I really struggle with my left and right so reversing something can really challenge me.  Then I hit upon an idea. I flipped over the pattern piece and traced through the directional lines.  I lined up strips and kept adding enough until I could fit the pattern piece on in its opposite orientation.


P1130869

Then in no time at all it seemed I'd made a whole feather block. It wasn't half the drama I was expecting and it does mean that I feel less guilty in getting back to adding some more squares to my lovely vintage sheet quilt. I still have bee blocks to make, but they are at least February ones and it is still February!



Super Saturday Production

I hope you like it Lucy? Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my last post. I'm off to answer more of them. My Mojo may not be back but at least I was smiling as I sewed up this feather.

29 comments:

  1. Well hoo-ray for smiling at least! It's such a pretty block, you did really well mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful! 'Take that' (boffs it on the nose!), sewing funk! Have you had the sun down there today? (We have!) Wondering if a shot of sunshine has enticed the mojo to start its journey home...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Jan, maybe this is just what you need to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yee-har!! Glad you did some happy sewing today x This feather is great (I've not attempted one yet myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. and what a lovely feather it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for combatting it :o) I often get my left and right mixed up, especially when drawing patterns, and I *still* get surprised when I get the sewing done and they're the other way round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading blog posts in the wrong order so will leave a lovely comment on the last post shortly. Your feather looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh well done, it looks great. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the best feathers I've seen J! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo hop,well done: it looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh brilliant, glad you got a tick today.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great J. Such a beautiful bee block and a wee bit of stitching - maybe it's not gone completely yet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. See! You made a fabulous feather and got your head round the layout. Definitely a successful sewing day. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant Jan! I found the long instruction off putting too but it wasn't as difficult as it seemed. Tho' I still managed to make my first two the wrong size. That fit to page thing! GRRRR!

    Onwards and upwards girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks lovely! I have never before seen a feather and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a hard time with reversing things too (I joke that I have directional dyslexia) so this is a great tip! Love this block and yours turned out so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is really lovely! I think that made with scraps isn't stingy, just more fun and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure Lucy will love it, great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's beautiful! I know what you mean though about flipping left and right - I struggle too. Hope your vintage sheet quilt is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty! It feels so good to finish something, even a small part of something!

    ReplyDelete
  21. SSC sounds yummy, cider with the snags I guess? Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  22. SSC sounds yummy, cider with the snags I guess? Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, well done, that feather is gorgeous. And I so sympathise with the left/right thing... I have lots of left sides of leaves....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your feather is beautiful. I have looked at that block and found it puzzling too, thank you for the tips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)