Friday, 15 February 2013

No Sew Mojo

So what do you do when your Mojo decides that it really really doesn't want to come back?

It feels like my sewing mojo has been gone for months. I thought it was coming back when I received those wonderful vintage sheet fat quarters. However, a stinking cold seems to have driven my mojo back into hiding. Even though it's on it's way out my mojo is showing no sign of wanting to return.  I may have felt more inclined to finish my vintage sheet quilt if I had managed to find anything suitable online to back it with. I bid on a couple of sheets on ebay but the prices went way higher than I was prepared to pay for a used sheet. So it lays discarded over a chair in the dining room.

I think it's not helping that each month I'm feeling a huge pressure to sew bee blocks. I still have a January one to complete before I can even think about February. I'd joined the bee's in such enthusiasm and now they feel like a huge chore.  I no longer window shop at online fabric stores and even the lovelies that pop up over on flickr don't inspire me to get sewing.  I'm beginning to wonder if I've fallen out of love with sewing. It's a scary thought.

What I have been doing a lot of is cooking and reading. I've read over 10 books this year already and I'm not even speed reading. I also had book club this week too. Next times choice is a real tome of a novel. So it's as well as I'm the mood for reading.

I've also not missed a day of project 365, even though some days I am challenged to find some good inspiration for a photograph.

Chief got down here last weekend. It was a flying visit. (In other words over four hours of driving for him to spend three hours with me.) I hadn't seen him since early December so it was lovely to see him and give him his Christmas presents.  I'm still waiting for mine as he's not been shopping yet. I teased him I may get extra as I'm having to wait.

We have our fingers crossed that he can get down next weekend and stay for a whole night. We have talked about getting a night away, but that seems unlikely so we'll keep the money in the kitty for another time. He tells me Paris is still on the agenda for the warmer weather and when his Valentines card arrived he asked me if I noticed the French script on the card (I had).


Valentines Day

I'm hoping I can at least get the January Bee block made over the weekend. How will you be spending your weekend?



16 comments:

  1. Dude. Is it so bad if you've fallen out of love with sewing? Your hobby should be fun - if it isn't then don't do it! You know I've offered to do your hipbees blocks - that still stands. What's that saying about love. You know, if you love someone set them free, that one. Set the sewing free and if it comes back? Great. If it was never yours in the first place and does a runner? Sell the stash and buy a new camera lens and a stack of books!

    I'm glad you got to see the chief, even a flying visit beats none at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathise about bee blocks, I was in two bees and by the end was months behind and fairly fed up! I found I had no desire to make the blocks but felt guilty doing and other sewing, so I just stopped sewing at all! The best advice I can give is get everything out and organised and set yourself the target of catching up in a day (probably possible!) now I am bee free I am in love with selfish sewing again, bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right to focus on the positives J and what you are achieving, regardless of whether it is sewing or not! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forget the stuff you have to do until you have made yourself something simple, fun and beautiful to kick start your mojo - you'll be OK. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently I'm spending the first part of my weekend studiously avoiding a pile of fur, template pieces and paw fabric on the floor waiting to be totally traced and cut out for an extremely difficult customer. I think this will be the last commission bear unless I get some of that mojo back (I'm keeping the stock pile of fur just in case)

    Glad you got to see Chief, however briefly, and hope he gets in a longer visit next time round (complete with pressies ;o) ), just enjoy the reading and the photos in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please don't be too hard on yourself. Just do wat you enjoy and don't pressure yourself to do more. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to keep the craft mojo going but remember, do it for yourself, no one else. What will be, will be. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know when you try and try and try to open a jar but the lid won't budge. then you leave it and in passing have another go and it opens easy as pie. Well, forgot the mojo and the sewing and one day, in passing, who knows? No pressure x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey you.... sorry the mojo has still gone awol... until it returns, enjoy the photography and reading, and then one day you will suddenly look up and there it will be, back again! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let it go. Put the sewing stuff away, give yourself permission to take a break, contact the bee's and see if you can bow out or send late. For myself as soon as I make my peace with something it allows the door to open for change. Be kind to yourself and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I might be able to help your mojo...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobite/8477494913/in/photostream

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about bees. I'm in three and it's definitely too much. I hope you get to see Chief soon - that must be so hard :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you are enjoying your photography and your reading and your cooking all so much, just be happy that these are your hobbies just now. Just because sewing isnt you just now doesnt mean you'll never sew again. I agree with Lynz, sell what stash you dont / cant keep, and spend it on something really really cool for your photography! Sounds like you really NEED something in your life that makes you happy - why not indulge the reading and photography? Be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you just have to do what you can - and if things get too much then cut down your commitments and do what you really enjoy. These things go in phases I find and it may well come back at a later date, and if not, well it doesn't matter - life is too short to spend too much time on hobbies you don't find fulfilling.

    Pomona x


    ReplyDelete
  15. You know the good thing that you have other activities that you do feel like doing and are enjoying. If the sewing is too tough, becoming a chore rather than a pleasure allow yourself time to step back and think about whether it's just feeling like that now when your energy reserves are low, or if it's a longer term thing. There's no rush on that decision either. And, if the commitment of the Bees is too much I'm sure all you have to do is ask for a wee break until you know how you want to proceed on that front. You don't need to make yourself miserable over stitching just now, sweetie. And, if I can help with the hipBees blocks just email!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Jan - I just want to give you a big hug! You have had a crappy time of it the last few months :-( I totally hear you on the bee block thing and hope that you can let some go when the year for the bee ends. I know you have made your feather now and so I hope your making picks up a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)