Sunday, 14 April 2013

Making a start on summer

Yes, don't faint from shock that's two posts in two days and both feature sewing!  In the Bee a Brit Stingy Bee I was Queen Bee in March.  Ever since the first blocks arrived I've been itching to get them sewn together into a quilt and today I made a start.


Summers coming...
Not the best picture but it's blowing a gale outside so if I tried to photograph 
it out there it would blow away!

I asked for the Road to Tennessee block and I think it really comes into its own when one block is mixed in with others.  I am still waiting on blocks from two people before I can finish.  I've mixed everyones blocks up so there is a good distribution of different fabrics.  One of the blocks I've received is missing from the above quilt because one Bee member made one not two so at the moment I have a stray block.  As I've not made any blocks myself yet for this quilt I may end up making three blocks to add an additional full row.  

I have been thinking about fabrics in my stash to use for the backing and I'm thinking of these two for sure.

P1140199

A summer inspired quilt really needs some Summersville and the kona Robins Egg is that happy sort of blue sky blue you get on the best summer days.

The weather may be struggling to do the summer thing but at least I'm making a start on summer. 


18 comments:

  1. It's going to be a gorgeous quilt Jan and I love your idea for backing - Summersville is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love how all those blocks look together - summery indeed xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours are just stunning in that quilt top. And I love the idea for the backing, as it will balance it so well. Fabulous quilt on the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks great, and the backing too - robins egg is my favourite kona colour! Rx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic quilt!! And very summery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it looks fantastic Jan, very summery

    ReplyDelete
  7. It says summer to me Jan - well done for getting so far already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, very nice, I do love the colour mix

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it looks great Jan! I knew I loved these blocks in a quilt and yours has confirmed that, even if they can be painful to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt, summer sun is here with a quilt like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is looking great! I think we are all willing summer to come! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, I love this block too and made a quilt with it, simple and versatile

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jan! I have like 30 WIP's right now and I do NOT need you tempting me to start another fun quilt like this one..even though it is so summery and gorgeous...must resist (for now ;-) Thanks for sharing - love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)