Thursday, 25 April 2013

Side Kick Tote (numpty alert!)

Life has got in the way since I started the Side Kick Tote (which I keep calling the Kick Start Tote) over a week ago and it's only today that I've got back to it with the intention of finishing it. Now I have to say I've put tonnes of zips in in my time. But that doesn't mean I like doing it or that I've ever put an inset zip in a bag.

Part of the reason I'd not progressed with the tote was that little sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that told me I didn't really want to put in the zip. Tonight I bit the bullet. Read through the instructions again and again and got started. First off I didn't think it helped that in the pattern pictures the lining used doesn't clearly show the right and wrong side. That aside the zip went in pretty painlessly. Until the bit in the pattern where it said flip to the right side and set aside. I did so and the zip wouldn't work. It was in upside down.

I cursed a bit under my breath and reached for the seam ripper. This time I would look at what the pattern was trying to achieve (I think I must work better visually where instructions are concerned.) I figured it out and found my own way of putting the zip in far more quickly. Again I got  to the flip to the right side and found the zip was in exactly the same position as previously!!


P1140250
See the zip is all upside down wrong way roundy

P1140251
See this will never work as a bag lining

I was just about to curse some more and reach for my seam ripper when I turned it outside in and realised that actually if the zip was in the bag it would work.

P1140252

I had previously ripped the zipper out for nothing! Doh! The zipper only wouldn't work if you were using this as the external part of the bag. But that would just be silly...

So now I just have to cut out the straps and finish the bag. A job for tomorrow me thinks and hopefully the sunshine will be out to allow me to get some decent pics of the finished bag.  

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that this is not the fabric I showed you previously.  I changed my mind about the lining and if you're really eagle eyed this may give a big BIG clue as to the theme of the bag.  

I'm just relieved I don't have to put that zipper in yet again!

14 comments:

  1. That is exactly the sort of thing that I would have done too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better than mucking up a bee block eh? Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did look at the second pic and wonder what you were on about, as it looked right to me!! So glad you sussed it in the end xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a numpty ;) glad you worked it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha!! You doofus - I could see me doing that! Waiting impatiently for the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you poor thing! Maybe you need to have more confidence in your abilities! This pattern is on my list of things to do next so I'll be making a note for reference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so glad I am not on my own for this sort of thing! I am sure when it is all done, it will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! At least you got there in the end! jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I have done that same thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is precisely the sort of shenanigans I get up to with written instructions. Glad you got there in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Numptees united against the world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm confused, but glad you got there in the end. How annoying for you. Seems we have all been having off days this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oops! Glad you got it sorted before you unpicked it again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)