Friday, 26 April 2013

SideKick Tote - The BIG reveal

Well after I'd written yesterday's post and had a sit down. I decided to crack on with finishing the bag. And it is probably as well I did. Monday they started to replace my flat roof. It was all done and sorted but they had left off some tiles from the main roof, but assured me it was water tight and they'd be back today to finish. At 3am this morning I woke up to the sound of dripping pouring water about a foot from my head. It seems the mains roof was not water tight at all. On closer inspection of the spare room it appeared there was lines of water stain all across the roof at the plasterboard joints too.  So there I was doing a mad scrabble to move stuff and try and find vessels to collect the water and of course find somewhere for my mother and I to sleep - given we don't have infinite spare bedrooms. (In the end I gave up and decided sleep was a luxury I'd have no more of.  This morning the corner that was leaking in my bedroom is bowed, squidgy and blistered with flaking paint. It seems I now have every ceiling upstairs with the signs of water damage. Oh and did I mention that sleep deprivation turns me into a right harpie? So I was fit to kill whilst all this was going on. It's fair to say I will have no time for (and probably even less inclination) sewing today as I clean up the carnage.

So it's as well I finished the tote yesterday and can do the big reveal today.  There are elements of this bag that I do not like the finish of. I think the problem is with my hurried sewing rather than the pattern.  I'll get on to that in a moment. I'm sure you want to see the bag first.


P1140262

I went with a Liberty of London theme using scraps of Tana lawn to create the square front pocket. It was only when I assembled these pieces I realised that their lovely eclectic look didn't quite gel with the lining fabric I'd originally chosen.  Then I remembered years ago buying a Liberty dress at a jumble sale in the village because I loved the fabric. Much of the dress had been hand finished and it was tiny. Once upon a time I may have been able to fit into it although it was always my intention to cut it up and I have for various projects. The colours and distinctive Liberty style of the design made a perfect lining and it was not the slippery Tana lawn so more robust for a bag lining.

P1140256
See the lining goes with the patchwork pocket.

I love sneaking some texty fabric goodness into most projects so made the internal pocket out of some Michael Miller fabric.
P1140259

The main bulk of the bag is made from Essex linen. Although I hadn't enough for the handle so ended up using a slightly different shade. But I think it works OK and the whole bag apart from the strap hardware was created from my stash and I'm loving those kinds of projects!

What I have decided is for a bag like this I'd not bother with the zip bit again.  I don't like how it sits when it's done up. I suspect this is because I've used some vintage Liberty dress fabric and the top pieces were probably cut on the bias so they have a fair bit of play in them.  It also didn't help that I caught the lining when sewing it to the main part of the bag and was too lazy to unpick properly. I'd had to wrestle the bag at the handles to get all the layers sewn together. But bearing in mind I have interfacing and multiple layers of fabric, including lots of Essex linen, there was an awful lot to wedge under the presser foot. I just couldn't face trying to wrestle the handles underneath again.  I unpicked the caught section from the top and used another layer of top stitching to sew it down. This has resulted in some wonky top stitching. But unless you're all going to scrutinise the bag at the retreat I think I'll get away with it.

So there you go that's my Sidekick Tote. I think it'll be a great bag for summer use as the Liberty does sort of mean it has the potential to go with anything I'm wearing.

I consider that a big tick for the Retreat making. Now I need to get back to the clear up.


18 comments:

  1. So sorry about the roof - ugh! The sidekick bag has a real summery feel. Enjoy using it. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you get all the building work... and water .. sorted out x your bag look s great .. and when you have had some sleep and feel better I am sure you will be happy with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag looks great! What a nightmare. I hope the builders sort it out quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous! I love the pocket. I hope the roof and ceilings get fixed fast and you get more sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks beautiful! I must admit, I had problems with that bit of the pattern too - my zip ended up being a little wonky. It was definitely my slapdash nature, though! Good luck with the roof!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's beautiful! Hope the clear up and roof repair goes smoothly and you get a good sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh bugger about the roof! Stupid builders saying it would be fine!

    The bag, on the other hand, is beautiful. Love it and the Liberty balances the linen so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Susan said re roof!

    Love the bag and I'll be looking out for it! Hope to see you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my what a week!! love the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh god, what a leaky nightmare! But your bag is proper gorgeous, wonky bits or no!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You mean I have to take my magnifying glass off my packing list? Your bag looks great and it will look super stylish at Retreat. Total bummer re roof, hope you get sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh those builders better sort it all out for you!!!

    The bag looks lovely - the Liberty is very forgiving, so no-one but you will notice the wonk. Can't wait to see it for real xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bugger on the ceilings, but yay on the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's lovely - Liberty, linen, texty print - what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous bag, hope you get your roof sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful bag J! Well worth the effort! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the bag, especially the patchwork. I hope the builder has been back to sort your roof out

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)