Monday, 27 May 2013

Bank Holiday Basting!

I don't recall a Bank Holiday Weekend as quiet as this one. I've been a right billy no mates. However, in some ways it's been a good thing because today I had another look in my stash to see if I had anything already I could use to back my bee quilt. I thought maybe some Kona and the Summersville I had already selected; then maybe a bit more Summersville and Kona joined to the bottom and maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to line the front up with the pieced backing. It was when I pulled out the other big piece of Summersville I had in my stash, that I realised the other big piece was much bigger than the first. Easily big enough to run the length of the quilt. This meant I only had to join some kona to the sides. I used the original robins egg one side and some klona cream the other as even with the robins egg kona added one side, it was going to make a scant backing.

Backing for Bee Quilt 
Loving the bold 'J's on the back of the quilt as my initial is J!

I had a walk after lunch and then started basting. So now I just need to quilt. 'Just' eh?! I probably won't tackle that today. But I think there is a very good chance I'll be able to finish this quilt to bring along to the retreat.

Basted! 
I have a feeling this quilt will be my new favourite!
Bank Holiday Basting 

 Even better I'm using up fabric in my stash which means I'm not only saving money but getting myself a little bit closer to a full on fabric-stocking-up-buying-blow-out!

Back to work tomorrow but with luck Chief maybe down late tomorrow night and will still be here when I get home from work on Wednesday.

I'm thinking the post bank holiday fun might just make up for this quiet one! 

14 comments:

  1. The quilt is looking amazing. Hope you can bring it to the retreat. I am quilting mine atm

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's stunning! How are you going to quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's already a beauty, Jan, it's going to be a stunner when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is coming on a treat. A long weekend makes all the difference in moving on the projects. I hope that you can bring it to the retreat. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope he makes it down for you, and yay for magically appearing backing fabric :oD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Backing karma! Basting with pins though - horrible business!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Jan! Great progress and happy times ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a really lovely quilt J! Enjoy the next few days. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt looks great. Would be my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your happy quilt top, so hurry up to let us see the finished quilt LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so awesome already, Jan but is going to be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's going to be amazing and I'm pretty confident it will be your new favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt is gorgeous. I love the backing too. Sometimes quiet is good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful!!! And love the backing!! There you go inspiring me again! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)