Saturday, 11 May 2013

Not a post about the Malvern Spring Show

Given that I felt pretty grotty when I woke up this morning and that grottiness has pervaded through most of the day I think it was probably sensible that I didn't go The Malvern Spring Show.  I am still sad that I didn't get to go as it was two years since my last trip there and who knows when another opportunity will arise. That said it gave me the perfect opportunity to catch up on some of my sewing.

First up having cut the squares to make four more blocks I set about sewing them together. I know a lot of folk don't like these blocks. I actually enjoyed making them a lot. It's not that fiddly to cut two inch squares if you cut strips of your chosen fabric and carve them up. I made a template to cut the main bits of fabric and I guess that bit was a bit time consuming as I spent ages choosing the right scraps.  I definitely think using klona helped with the sewing together as it has a little stiffness to it, which stops the fabric shifting about too much.  If there was any bit to the construction that made me sigh a little it was drawing diagonal lines on all those little white squares.  Those who are more reckless/brave/stupid (delete as applicable) might have just eye balled it, but I just thought I'd spend more time with the seam ripper if I guessed at it.


Extra March Block

Extra March Block

Extra March Block

Extra March Block

These blocks are also a great opportunity to use up scraps of fabric not much use for other projects, yet still too lovely to just bin. 

With these done and dusted I tackled Miss May's Blocks in Bee a Brit Stingy.  Catherine picked such a great block. It was simple. It helped I already had a lot of 2.5" strips cut from when I thought I might jump on the whole scrappy trip bandwagon. I didn't need my seam ripper and now I'm hoping I didn't cock it up because it seemed too simple...


For Miss May


For Miss May

Catherine also asked for the  bonus blocks you can get from assembling these blocks. I can't wait to see what she has planned for these.

Miss May Bonus Bits

Oh and you know that pile of bead strings I showed you yesterday? Well what I didn't show you were them broken down and reassembled into necklaces.

In a previous life I used to make jewellery and repair and restring vintage jewellery. Alas it was not a job that I felt I could earn a living from.  Too much competition for the former and not enough demand for the latter. As a result though my craft supplies do contain a fair amount of beads and jewellery findings.

Every time I go to a local craft gallery I see some lovely gemstone necklaces at prices...quite frankly too high for me. (£35 for mass produced necklace and £95.00 for hand made) I'm not saying the jewellery is not worth the price. Just that it's not within my budget right now. So the other day I thought if I want a necklace in aqua colours why don't I just buy the gems myself and whip something up. The Dalmatian Jasper just kind of threw itself into my basket too!

P1140328
Dalmatian Jasper and some Orange Seed beads.

P1140323

Amazonite and Tibetan Silver heart beads


While I had some of my beads out I remembered that the other day whilst in Fat Face I saw a necklace made of glass millefiore heart beads and remembered I had some star ones waiting to be made into a bright necklace just perfect for the summer.  So I whipped one of those up as well.

P1140326
Millefiore and seed bead necklace

Bonus is I still have some of the beads left from my recent purchase and the cost of all the materials involved so far means I have three necklaces and a pair of earrings and change from a tenner!

So this is definitely not a post about the Malvern Spring Show. 



19 comments:

  1. I always do that thing where you stick a bit of masking tape to the machine so you can see the middle of the block. It works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too on the masking tape thing ^^

    Sorry to hear you didn't make it to the Show.

    Love the star necklace xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, go you Little Miss Efficient! I've been eyeballing all my jewellery making supplies as I rearranged them in the new loft earlier. Funnily enough now they're up there, they're more accessible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new bee blocks for yourself and Catherine and think your necklaces look lovely! Hope you feel better soon xx

    P.S. Camille has a good video for the HST/masking tape thing that Charlotte and Liz mentioned http://camilleroskelley.typepad.com/simplify/2013/04/half-square-triangle-tips.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely jewellery makes! You are multi talented! Great blocks too, so you see, the lack of Spring show gave you creative time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to catch up on all your news. Nice blocks and jewellry. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooo those necklaces are fab fab fab - I love fat face jewellery, and love that it inspired you to make your own for a fraction of the price. Sorry you didn't make it to the show - I went to our County show this afternoon, and worked in the tea tent for 3 hours.... my feet definately know about it now!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pity you had to miss the show, but at least you did some nice things today! The blocks look great, and the jewellery is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a painstaking pencil marker, too. But you've been holding out on us. You just "whipped up" those beautiful necklaces? Smarty pants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you sure you have missed the Malvern Spring Quilt show? I think it is next week-end. Of course it may not be this one you are referring to:
    http://www.grosvenorshows.co.uk/html/Uk_Malvern.html
    Maga
    dagmar dot eu at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Amazonite - hope you feel better soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love my blocks Jan,thank you. They are nice easy blocks to do, but they look so effective all put together

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pity you couldn't go to the show. But, you sure used your time well. Lovely blocks and I like your necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey I see a piece of the blue and yellow flower fabric I sent you in the first block. So nice to see it in use :) I love the millifiore star necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you missed the show, but great blocks. I am afraid I am one of those eyeball people for things like that. Love the necklaces, especially the glass one. Really beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a pleasant day after all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are cracking me up! I am STILL so in love with these blocks - I have so many things waiting to be finished but I REALLY want to start some of these! And you're right about the diagonal line drawing being tedious :-) Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How sad you missed the show because you feel unwell! But you made such good use of the time, the blocks are pretty and I love the star millefiori necklace. Beautiful work. :) Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. How sad you missed the show because you feel unwell! But you made such good use of the time, the blocks are pretty and I love the star millefiori necklace. Beautiful work. :) Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)