Sunday, 5 May 2013

Ta Dah!

Quilt Top Done!

These are all the bee blocks from my month as Queen Bee in Bee a Brit Stingy. Doesn't it look fab?!  The brief was to make Road to Tennessee blocks in a summery theme/colour. I wanted the blocks to shout Summer. As when I was asking for them back at the end of February we'd had such horrible cold weather for about ten years six months that I really wanted to bring some summer into my world.  I asked that the small negative space bits in each block were made from white or a white on white fabric. I was really hoping everyone would do a mix of both so the quilt had some little extra touches of detail that gave it an obviously hand made finish. The group did me proud on all counts.


Quilt Top Done

This really does shout Summer doesn't it? Although I do need some advice and I appreciate that advice would be easier to give if I'd actually done the sensible thing and measured the quilt. 

The blocks are 12" finished - or there abouts and I've assembled the in rows of four blocks, six rows deep. However, it may just be a trick of the block but I think it's making the quilt look long and thin. As much as I love this block I'm not sure I want to make another six blocks to add another row along the length and adding borders down the long sides and not the short might just look weird and I'm not sure I'm a borders sort of person anyway.  However, this is only going to be a lap sized quilt. My question is does the quilt look ok to you as is, or do I need to...widen it? 


Quilt Top Done!


Quilt top done!

Not the greatest pictures as it's hard to photograph quilts horizontally and I have no where to hang it vertically. Even my washing line is not man enough for that job!

Today has been a no sew day so far as I've been busy in the garden. Mainly tidying jobs and also starting plant up the veg beds.  I managed a trip to a large garden centre first thing and didn't buy a thing!  Chief told me that tomorrow should be a 'no work' day and I should make the most of a rare day off and do something that doesn't involve work or chores of any kind. Better still go out. So me and my camera will be off out and about of course that's meant lots of chores and jobs today!

I hope you're all enjoying the weekend too. 


20 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful! A wonderful bee project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt there! You definitely got your summer right there :-) Hope it keeps you warm and smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's fine as it is- it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks fabulous Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally summer in a quilt!! Lovely and I think it's good as it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great put together. I think I would be temped to do another column of blocks if I could face it. Well you did ask.... ;) Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's lovely, but if it's really bugging you, take a row off the top or bottom and use it on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well as you asked I think another column as well would make it look extra gorgeous and think it would be worth the extra effort. It's going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid I agree with Annabella! Does look gorgeous and would be worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done! I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hooray! It's lovely! I do think you should make another row though, sorry ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I'm going to go out of the box as it's meant to be a lap quilt and say remove a row and stick it on the back :oD

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks gorgeous Jan, well done. I am going with the lap quilt contingency: take a row off and use it on the back
    Enjoy your day tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks stunning!!

    I would take a row off and make one more block to square it up (60 x 60), BUT if it is not going on a bed, I don't think it matters and may well be the perfect size for the sofa.

    Definitely don't make 6 more! What siggies did you all do? If you had the psiquilt ones you could easily make 3/4 of the block with those xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first Brit bee is 4' x 6' and I love the size. Works as a lap quilt but long enough to sleep under nicely. Stick to what you have because it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This definitely shouts SUMMER!!! I would not add another 6 blocks, it would make it quite big for a lap quilt. I would take off 4 blocks and either use them on the back or make 1 more block and add the 5 blocks to the side to make it square. I LOVE it anyway, no matter what size you'll make it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's perfect the way it is! Enjoy your day off tomorrow. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it the way it is - have you tried snuggling under it to see if it's wide enough?

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have Chosen a gorgeous Block. Beautiful... By the Way... My Blog is 2 or 3 weeks Old ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's looking lovely Jan. Why don't you make just one more block and do 5 x 5.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)