Friday, 24 May 2013

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

"Friends are like Stars, you don't have to see them to know they are there"

I don't know who to attribute this saying to. It's one that was on my mind when I was choosing a block to make for Sarah this month.  In the HipBee's Sarah asked us to pick a block of our choosing so she could make a sampler quilt.  I knew straight away I wanted to make a block with stars because of this staying and also because when it was my month in this bee I asked for stars.

I have not met Sarah but I consider her a friend due to her unfailing kindness and support shown to me online.


For Sarah

The block is based on the Star Gazing block designed by Angela Pingel, I couldn't do the star gazing block exactly because as I started cutting the back ground fabric I realised I wasn't going to have enough even if I didn't do the third small star. I could have asked for more fabric, but as it's close to the end of the month I decided to modify the block by sneaking two squares of Summersville fabric into two opposing corners. As I was working with one solid and two prints for this block I decided to fussy cut some of the Summersville for the centres and as that would mean I'd not used very much of that fabric, it seemed an obvious choice to use in the corners.  

I hope you all have a lovely weekend what ever you are doing. 

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic block Jan. And I can assure you that Sarah is even lovlier in real life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Collette said (3 x ;)) So sweet - I 'm sure Sarah will really appreciate the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw lovely sentiment there Jan! And great block

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely block and great reason for making it! Sarah is fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the modification to the block as now it is unique. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw what a sweet post Jan. Thank you! And massive thanks for the double star block too. It's smashing and is going to be great in my quilt. Thanks especially for making it when you were so under the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS We will get to meet at FQR soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, pretty!! I like the corner blocks - they look very deliberate!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)