Saturday, 1 June 2013

Summer Kisses: A Quilt Finish!

IMG_0295

So there it is. I have my first quilt finish of 2013 and what a beauty it is too.

For those who don't know I was Miss March in Bee a Brit Stingy Bee and I asked my fellow hive members to make me Road to Tennessee blocks in bright summery colours using white for the negative space. I didn't mind what kind of fabric as long as it was white and said tone on tone white was fine too.

By the end of April I had received all my blocks and decided that I wanted the quilt a tad larger than it was. This was because the quilt was coming out long and skinny. Some suggested to me that I could take a row off the bottom and put it on the back. However, I didn't want any of my bee members to feel their blocks were only good enough to go on the back of the quilt. So with the help of a couple of my bee members I made enough rows for another long column of blocks. 

Today I did the trimming and binding. Don't tell the quilt police, but there was no way I was going to go near this beauty with a rotary cutter and squaring up in the conventional sense was not going to be sensible. It was more important to me to keep the visual of the blocks in tact rather than have a completely 100% straight quilt. 

IMG_0282

Photographing this quilt was not easy in today's wind but I was eager to get some pictures up so everyone that helped make it could see it finished. 

IMG_0283

I'm not sure if you can see the binding very well in the pictures? I had a half meter of fabric bought in a sale that stupidly I didn't look at the selvage to see what it was. Other than I seem to remember it having Kauffman on it. Anyway, I chose this fabric for two reasons: It was in my stash already and it reminded me of the sort of mosaic tiling you get on swimming pools. What better than thinking of a cooling swim on a hot summers day.


IMG_0285

I roped my Mum into holding up the quilt only she found it a bit heavy and the wind did rather make the job harder. It was scarier when I gave her the camera and decided to climb up on the stone bench. The stone bench was wobbly and the quilt acting like a sail in the wind. I half expected to get blown over the hedge! We had to go through the whole process twice when it turned out Mum had been trying to take pictures with out switching the camera on!


IMG_0291

Me checking if she's actually taken pictures this time!


IMG_0292

This is the back: Mainly Summersville with some Klona Cream and Kona Robins Egg.

I was so busy piecing the back from stash I completely forgot to incorporate the siggy blocks so now I'm wondering if I should sew them all into one label and sew it on the back or do something else with the siggys. Ideas always welcome.

So that's my Summer Kisses Quilt. I think the parts of each block look like kisses and as it's in summery colours...you can work the rest out!

The Deets for the statistically minded:

Finished size: 60" x 69" 

What a flaming good start to June!


25 comments:

  1. It's so happy, Jan! And you bet me to a finish! *g* I think I'd be tempted to make a matching cushion from the signature blocks but realise this defeats their purpose a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely knock-your-socks-off gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it xx and the pictures in the garden xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely summer quilt, and you've been so fast finishing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally gorgeous - and I would definitely make a cushion to go with it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous!!! I think a cushion is a great idea! It is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, it looks amazing. I forgot to sew my siggies on my quilt too! I will make them into a block and sew it onto the back

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant finish J! A quilt to treasure! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's absoliutely beautiful, and so glad you decided to go bigger. It's a stunning finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so gorgeous and summery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's so beautiful!!!! I would make the siggys into a label and sew them on the back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, well done! I'll let you in on a secret, the only quilt I have actually 'squared up' as opposed to making the edges straight, is Madrona Corners, and then I only took the time because it was going in a comp lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful quilt - making it bigger was definitely the right decision!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want one!

    I'm so lousy at squaring up a quilt that I usually just trim the edges straight too. And I'm going to have to stop doing that since I keep entering shows!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beauty it is Jan and a totally appropriate name for it too. :) I'd make a label of the signature blocks and sew it on the back as a record of all the lovely people who helped you to make it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is going to still be making you smile 20 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a fantastic quilt! Now sit down, wrap up in it and enjoy - you deserve a rest and a cuddle from all your bee friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete