Wednesday, 12 June 2013

The Weekend: Part 2

Boy is a busy weekend catching up with me now. My body is protesting at the lack of sleep ratio comparative to the amount of energy expended and so this post may have a higher level of gibberish built in. It may also be rather photo heavy.

The bits of the weekend I skipped over were the trip to Harcourt Arboretum and lunch at The Swan. I thought I'd blogged about going to the arboretum last year and how we said we'd never return, only I can't find the post now. We went later on in June. We'd been told this would be a good time to see all the Rhododendrons and Azaleas. Only last year everything was early and we were disappointed and thought people must be easily impressed by the one bush in flower we saw. We also got eaten to death by horseflies. Chief started getting attacked first. So much so we had to watch where we walked as great clouds of them were following. It meant having paid to go in we spent less than an hour there and Chief got in the car covered with bloody slices from horsefly bites. Both of us said we'd not go back. So I was a bit surprised when Chief suggested we took a trip back there and maybe if the weather was different (less humid) the horseflies wouldn't be so prevalent.

Having not had high hopes of the acid loving shrubs I was pretty impressed by the sight when we first drove in and it was this area I made a bee line for with my camera.


Harcourt Arboretum

Harcourt Arboretum

Harcourt Arboretum

Harcourt Arboretum 

Harcourt Arboretum

The arboretum is also home to a few peacocks. They are quite friendly and inquisitive so it didn't take long for one to find us and decide to do a bit of showing off.

Peacock

Peacock

Peacock

Peacock

I must have taken a million pictures of the peacocks. In fact more of the trip to the Arboretum can be viewed in this set on flickr.

Chief liked the peacocks, but was disappointed not to have more opportunities to try out his new camera. These days he's not interested in pictures that don't have birds in them. (In fact any pics of me were deleted because I do not have feathers because he didn't think they were that good.)

We had often had good opportunities to watch red kites from the car park of a restaurant/antiques centre in Tetsworth, which is a village along the old A40 towards London.  

We decided to have lunch here.

The Swan Tetsworth

They go to a lot of effort making the table look classy even when you sit in the garden and all the staff were really friendly - not the cheapest place to eat, however the last few times Chief has been down we've ended up getting a MacDonald's on our way to Otmoor so we deserved a bit of a treat. I can't show you what I had for lunch because I wolfed it down before I thought to take any pics. It was a salad with asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and Chief had sausage and mash which he let me sample and it was lovely!  


The Swan Tetsworth

We didn't look around the inside which apart from being a restaurant is an antiques centre.  I feel the need for a return trip!

By the time you read this tomorrow will have come and I may well be spending 45 minutes having a lie down at the dentist. Yep, big filling from my early teenage years is starting to fail and needs to be replaced. 



6 comments:

  1. Wow! Amazing pics J! Hope you survived the dentist! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. It sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful pictures x so glad this trip turned out to be so much happier x the colours are just wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the arboretum delivered this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pics. Hope you are over the dental visit xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)