Sunday, 4 August 2013

Oh you Mother Pucker!!!

Hmmm so knowing I'd be away from the computer for the majority of the weekend I knocked up a post and scheduled it for yesterday and guess what? Didn't work. No idea why. So you get it now and I get to go back to reviewing over a thousand photos taken at the weekend. There will be a lot deleting. Even so I may be some time...

Having got my wadding for my vintage sheet quilt I set about the basting. No easy feat when you live in a tiny house with very little floor space. Still more than table space and I really didn't think I was one of those people clever enough to use a bed to baste (and not baste it to the mattress - along with a million puckers.)

Then I made my first mistake. I measure the wadding and set about cutting it. In order to get the best use of space to lay it down with my ruler to cut I shifted the orientation of it. Went off to do something else. Came back, forgot I'd changed the orientation and ended up measuring and cutting it too short. Never fear I could turn it round and sew a strip along the length. All good. It wasn't the first time I'd created a spot of Frankenwadding.  It had always worked perfectly in the past. I knew I didn't have to add much as the width of the sheet was only just wider than the quilt so I didn't have room to have a lot of wadding overhang.

Vintage Sheet Quilt Basting 
The edge where it all went pear shaped.

 Unfortunately this time it didn't work. I ended up with a sort of frilly valance effect going on.  I thought it's ok I can smooth it out as I baste. Hmmm that didn't work. What ended up happening was during all my tugging and pulling in all directions, in the hope of getting the wrinkles smoothed out, I ended up with a quilt top larger than my wadding.

So I pulled and tugged some more and basted like anything at the edge with safety pins and headed off to quilt. Oh dear bad idea. Lots of puckers and bumps. Still I've continued on quilting beyond that point and figure by the time I get to the other end I can go back and unpick where I started and maybe by then I'll have worked out how I'm getting myself out of this particular pickle...fingers crossed eh?

16 comments:

  1. I hate it when that happens! That's a regular occurrence here as I tend not to measure and cut by eye. Given my appalling spatial awareness it always goes wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt looks lovely, I hope you manage to make it all work. Your story is why I don't cut the batting until I have basted it in place but I have more room to work in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you not a good space any where in this house. I have thought about hanging it on my clothes line. Can't seem to get all the pickers out in here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am like you not a good space any where in this house. I have thought about hanging it on my clothes line. Can't seem to get all the pickers out in here

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck! send the next one to emily to baste. works a dream... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can use a table top if you shift it every so often to get the bits that overhang but recently I had a similarly bad experience and had the back too short. I found that by using facings as bindings I could cover it up and I appliqued over my puckers- http://blog.pennydog.com/2013/07/28/helsinki-square-dance/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief, who has a table big enough to baste on? Or a bed at a height you can baste on? Well okay, most people, but I don't, so I'm calling them weird ;o)

    I've had the 'shrinking batting' issue before, and tugging on it as I quilt out to it seems to work, even with spray baste. Brute force and ignorance gets you everywhere ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I get that- I get the 'stretch inodd directions' top, The 'shrink in the middle of one side' wadding, and the backing that develops a stretched patch bang in the middle, so there is no way of quilting without a pleat in the middle!
    Good luck now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain, I hate basting! I developed a technique of basting over my ironing board when I lived in my old flat, not perfect but it was less stress on the knees and made trimming wadding a bit easier. Good luck with the quilting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you get it sorted - I know of a way to baste on a table (a 'normal -sized' one!), shout if you want me to talk you through it but I don't think that would help with this situation as it's the wadding join that seems to be causing the problem. Having said that, it might help but only if you didn't mind cutting two thinner strips off either side of the wadding rather than one chunk off one side. Am I making any sense at all?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah!!! It'll all come out in the wash xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nightmare - hope you sort it somehow!
    I've never heard of basting on a bed! But I have basted on a table when my floor space wasn't big enough, I used this as a reference point and found it really helpful... http://narioka.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/my-unconventional-method-of-bin-basting.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. eek! what a nightmare. I'm sure you'll do it justice in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hope it gets sorted to the point where you are happy with it Jan, because from here it looks rather beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent title!! Don't you just hate it when that happens. I have a corner sofa that I have to take apart and pile up on top of itself to get the floor space to baste. The quilt is so lovely though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)