Sunday, 11 August 2013

Shrunken Super Tote

Chief went off Adventurous Training on Friday. (I once suggested Adventurous Training was like PGL only to get a very whithering look, but really I think it is.)  This morning he phoned to tell me he'd spent some hours in the hospital Saturday night.  So how did he hurt himself? Which adventurous activity got him? Apparently he tripped over on camp in the dark. He got a bump on his head and a nasty gash on his leg. He informs me he was not drunk either. On the way up to Adventurous Training he phoned and I told him I'd finished a quilt. He asked if it was his quilt, then called me a slacker when I said that not only was it not his quilt, but I'd not actually ordered the fabric yet...

But seeing as he's away and can't even call for very long I found myself with a Sunday to myself. I did housework, I went for a walk after lunch with Mum. Then when I got back and had a cuppa I stuck a DVD on and started cutting out fabric to make another Super Tote. I'm not sure which blog it was I read the other day, but they said every time they go on holiday they make a new bag. Genius. I'll do the same. Like I really need an excuse to make another bag. You're probably thinking: Didn't she just make a bag for her holiday yesterday?  Ok, that doesn't count. It's mahoosive and for the beach or heading to the pool. I need something for sightseeing and shopping.

Hadley reduced the super tote pattern to 50% and knocked up this nifty little bag. I decided I'd do one at 75% so I can shove just a bit more stuff in it. (The pattern pieces at 50% looked tiny to me.)  I had to improvise to use stuff from my stash. I was down to my last two magnetic snaps and had no zips suitable to do the zipped version. I also didn't bother with the piping. I have a big bag of piping cord somewhere, all I could find yesterday was some flimsy stuff I'd ordered for framed purses (And never used.) It was a real pain to make cord from so I gave it a miss today.


Super Tote at 75%

I used two different Summersville prints to line the external pockets. It took less than a skinny quarter of the feathers fabric to make the two external pockets. I used various shades of Essex linen scraps to do the rest of the bag and it's lined in Kona Ash left over from yesterdays bag.

Super Tote at 75% Super Tote at 75%

Here are the two super totes for size comparison.  At 75% the smaller one is larger than the large side kick tote so I'm confident I'll get everything I need to in it.

Super Tote at 75%

Now I just need a holiday! Oh and for those of you who are wondering about the Paris thing. Chief is hoping we can do Paris next spring. I asked him just at the end of last week and he said he'd rather do it in the spring and he'll know more about his job situation by then.  It'll only be three birthdays since it was that birthday treat!  But next year is a mile stone birthday year for me. I'm using any excuse to celebrate all year long!

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant - Aren't they quick the second time around? I think I will make them as Christmas presents... maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. PGL made me laugh like a drain - I worked there for too many seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably PGL on speed ;o) I never worked on them though, just got drunk on them. I never tripped in the dark though... :oD

    Cute new toy anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that feathery fabric!! Very nice co-ordinating make-doing, too. It looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bag Jan! Love the feathers print - suitable for the bird lady that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the 75% tote and the print is perfect, that is going to be a very useable bag indeed

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bags are brilliant!

    P.S. No idea what PGL is...should I?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fun to use what you have and make some thing so awesome isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AT is like PGL .... Sometimes....and with 38 days leave a year then is is also worth doing in leave as its like a paid for holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)