Monday, 5 August 2013

Well I didn't see that coming.

I'm still working on the proper weekend post. Something happened Saturday night that really surprised me. It was bedtime the duvet has been relegated to a big heap in the corner of the bedroom since summer started properly. I've been sleeping under a duvet cover (since no sheet is safe from my wanting to practice my dress making skills). Often the duvet cover is not substantial enough so I've taken to snuggling under my colour brick quilt as well. It's not wide enough to cover the bed, although as I'm quite small it's easy enough for me to snuggle under it. Chief and I were lying in bed and both half asleep and he either had some of the quilt over him or he had his arm over it. Either way he said: "This is so soft and nice to sleep under, nicer to the touch than the duvet cover. I may steal this and take it home."

I tell you I nearly sat bolt upright in bed and switched on the lights.

Ever since I got back into quilting I've been offering to make Chief a quilt. His response has always been: Nah too gay. You can make me a duvet cover if you like but I don't want any of patchwork stuff going on. Now he's actually got to sleep under one he decides he wants one. I asked about sizing and he said it needed to be about a foot wider. In the morning when I went to make breakfast I got back to find him trying to snuggle under it. He came to the conclusion it also needed to be a foot longer too so he can stretch out and put it right up to his neck and still have it cover his feet. Oh and he doesn't mind if I used gay fabrics although if I have any of that camo girls fabric left he'd have some of that in it.


Pillow present 
Camo Girls Fabric made into a cushion for him

Further more apart from maybe seeing him later in the month, I am unlikely to see him again this side of October. Helpfully he's offered to pick up the completed quilt next time he's down in October.(!)

So now I have to come up with a simple Chief friendly pattern, work out what fabric to use and er make the quilt before October.  No pressure then?!




16 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a real breakthrough. You'll have to hide stuff from him when he visits, your patchwork may never be safe again;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome and hilarious. It's always fun to convert someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this pattern, and it's pretty masculine (I think):
    http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2010/05/12-2-q.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol chief sounds like my man....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny and even better that he wasn't winding you up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, everyone succombs in the end

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny! But you can't beat a snuggle. Maybe he would like flannel?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Men! nothing quite so frustrating!

    Pleased he is coming round...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How generous of him to have arranged a pick up schedule :oD

    Sheila did a really basic strip quilt for her son recently - about 4 strips to each side, maybe find the perfect fabric and go with that? Not too gay then...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad he's seen sense. Colour brick quilts or a plus quilt would be great and manly - not too much fussy patchwork! Enjoy hatching a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funnily enough I found my reluctant patchwork loving hubby snuggled very happily under my Field Study quilt before we left - must have been the voile backing! ;) Love Charlotte's suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Jan. Helping Chief to see the error of his patchwork related opinions is a job very well done. You might need to keep an eye on your fabric now though. :-) Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Surprise! Haha - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)