Sunday, 22 September 2013

Christmas in September?

I have been dragging my Christmas quilt out of the house and into the garden all morning. Trying to get some decent shots and for some reason (and I think it's the red and white patterns on some of the squares) most have seemed a little fuzzy. So here goes with what I did get.


Christmas Quilt

It's a simple 5" squares quilt. I think I bought two fat quarters of fabric for this quilt. The rest of the fabric came from my stash. There is fabric won in give aways, fabric from charm swaps, fabric left over from other quilts and charm packs. If it was red or red and white then I popped it in this quilt. It was not easy to garner enough red when my stash was so lacking in this colour. In the end this turned out to be a bonus as it's meant the quilt as a lovely eclectic feel to it. Very little of the fabric is proper 'Christmas' fabric. I think it screams out Christmas just the same.

Christmas Quilt

The backing is some Summersville I bought in a deal Hancocks of Paducah were having. It's the second quilt I've backed in this fabric. The bottom fabric is some random Bonnie and Camille fabric that I saw and loved. In fact I'm sad I have no more of it, as I used what I did have in this backing. 

Christmas Quilt

The binding is some Sherbet pips fabric. Something else I bought for a song when an etsy seller was having a closing down sale. I scored about three yards of various sherbet pips fabrics. The red with white squares being just one of them, I knew one day I'd have the perfect project for it and this is it. 

Christmas Quilt


I quilted it on the diagonal through the centre of each charm - in both directions using Aurifil 2024 in 50wt. I used left over wadding from binding my summer kisses Bee a Brit Stingy quilt. It's not only satisfying to finish off a project, but to do so entirely from stash. 

Christmas Quilt

It may be September now but come the holiday season picture me snuggled under this quilt on the sofa, watching "It's a Wonderful Life", drinking hot chocolate and eating a mince pie. 


13 comments:

  1. I love your quilt, all those reds work so nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat patchwork squares and i agree the reds look great! Roll on winter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think we have to picture the mince pies, Trudi saw some in a supermarket about 4 weeks ago o.O Still, the quilt looks ready for it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks great.. and isnt it great to be able to say you got all the fabric from your stash xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your Christmas quilt - making me want to sing Christmas carols already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you know I love it - let's hope Chief is with you to snuggle under it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's great - and not just for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely :-) Cant beat a good red and white quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt - red and white is an all-round winner, I think, for all year around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! It's Reene@Nellie's Niceties' daughter and I've nominated you for a Liebster blog award! :) http://rosevampire.wordpress.com/2013/09/25/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mixing different style of Christmas Fabric can turn out really great specially if the style you chose blend well together, just like what you did which is indeed stunning, the red stuff makes it suitable for Christmas, well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)