Tuesday, 3 September 2013

September Stitch Planning.

Linking up with A Year of Lovely Finishes was a great motivator in August. It made me focus on just one thing to finish in August. This helpfully steered me away from having a huge pressure-filled-impractical list that would have probably just ended up scaring me into inactivity. It was a great chance to pick one item that I really wanted to get finished even if I did nothing else. As it worked so well I thought I'd come back in September and do the same.

My sewing mojo is still a bit on holiday. It's been hard going back to work and focusing on routine when a big part of me just wants to be planning another escape away.  Anything that helps me focus has got to be a good thing. That's why I've decided to finish at long last the Aeroplane Bag. (I have double motivation as maybe if I finish the bag I'll get to christen it on a night or two away with Chief when he's back from Cyprus next month!)   I was pretty shocked when I went back to May in my blog archive and found this post. Fabrics were picked, material cut into and the on order zip arrived.

I think I put it on the back burner procrastinating on the interfacing issue.  I didn't think it was that long ago though!
Aeroplane Bag

Aeroplane Bag

This afternoon I've ordered some car scrim that's apparently a great substitution for the soft and stable interfacing. I can get stitching in earnest when that arrives. Zips are never my favourite thing to do so wish me luck with this big beast of a one!




10 comments:

  1. I don't like zips either but I'm sure you can do it! Can't wait to see your gorgeous, finished bag :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I will try making one of these. One day! My mojo has buggered off totally. Maybe school starting tomorrow and time by myself will help me find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good luck, I'm really struggling to sit at the machine at the moment myself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try to put the zip in while everything is as flat as possible. Once it starts getting 3 D it gets harder- but I know you are more than capable of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a bag pro compared to me so this should be a breeze! I absolutely love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you can do it! I'm going to try the Vilene H640 instead of the foam, since I have that on hand, and it's about the same thickness...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh thanks for the scrim tip.... what does it actually do in real life?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fan of zips either but with each one I do they seam to get a tad easier. I love your purple fabric! Good luck finish it up, having one goal helps me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slow and steady with the zip and I'm sure you'll have a perfect getaway bag before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just got this pattern too, but I'd never heard of car scrim...so off to Google it....thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)