Monday, 7 October 2013

I have a LQS worth having!

As promised I took myself off to one of my nearest towns: Thame in Oxfordshire to check out the patchwork shop I'd been told about.  I just had to go and check it out as this would mean I have at long last have my own LQS (Local Quilt Store). Surprisingly Oxford has no quilt/sewing store worth mentioning. I am often asked by quilting/sewing friends visiting the city where they can go to buy fabric and sewing stuff. I have to tell them not to bother looking in Oxford as they'll be disappointed. To hear there is one in a town as close to me as Oxford had me excited.

I was not disappointed by my trip into Sew Patchwork. Tucked away down Swan Walk (don't worry there are clear signs from the main High Street) it's right next to a huge car park that gives you three hours parking for free. A smallish, but light and bright shop it has plenty for the modern sewist to peruse.

I was only popping in to scope out the shop and tell you all about it. I didn't have a melt down like I did when Katy took me into Shaukat. This is what I came away with this visit.


Spoils
You know my thing for birds and the need to get a few more oranges in my stash.

So what else will you find there? I was impressed with the range of sewing tools and notions. Even though I have to buy most things online it can be hard sourcing tools/notions. Especially if someone goes and blogs about how great something it is. All the online shops seem to sell out. I found myself recently ordering a Sewline Glue Pen from Pink Castle (in the US) because I couldn't find one in the UK. And here in Sew Patchwork they have them along with refills! I can get replacement rotary blades here too, along with machine needles, marking tools and these gold eye applique needles I've been meaning to get for ages. I'll be back for notions alone. I think some might be finding their way into my Christmas stocking. 

There is a good range of fabric. A nice selection of Moda pre-cuts and pre-cut fat quarters. You might find a few batik fat quarters or civil war repro type prints, but mainly it's the more modern fabrics like the FQ's I bought by Jessie Jung. I didn't see how much fabric by the yard was;  FQ's are various prices depending on how they're arranged in big easy to browse boxes. I also noticed some scrap packs by colour and cotton lawn. It's good to see fabric in flesh.

I can't remember all the thread stocked there. Sew Patchwork stocks the ever popular gutermann both quilting and sew all and there was also a nice selection of threads by Oliver Twists. No sign of any Aurifil though. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the prices. All to often if I do go into a proper bricks and mortar store I find the prices are extortionate compared to what I can buy in the UK online. Not the case at Sew Patchwork. Certainly competitive. I will be back. I'm just so pleased I have a proper bricks and mortar store I can pop into. 






6 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Glad it was worth the trip xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks interesting, I had googled quilt shops near to Oxford and had contemplated getting the bus to Thane on my last visit there, but spent the afternoon in Oxford instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Glad you have such a good and accessible shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! Although I'm a little envious - it's so nice to see before you buy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great- I loved the Birds and Berries range and only have teeny tiny scraps of it left.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)