Tuesday, 8 October 2013

On a roll!

Yesterday, whilst in Thame I thought I'd scope the charity shops out looking for vintage sheets. This is the town I looked in last year when I hoped to join the UK and Ireland Vintage Sheet FQ Swap. Last year I found nothing. I'd just assumed I'd not find anything around here so I gave up. However, with the finds in Headington on Saturday I thought it was worth a quick nosy in the Charity shops: Just. In. Case.

And guess what? I found two more!

Vintage Sheets

This one is a flat single sheet and definitely vintage. It even had a little old lady smell about it. (Ok is that too much information? It's alright they were washed the moment I got them home!)

Vintage Sheets

This is a double duvet cover. It went straight in the wash before I could find a label. I'm not sure it's age; it looks like something that would have come from the late 1970's early 1980's. I kept thinking 'Watership Down' when I saw it. In fact I nearly left it where it was in case it wasn't that old. But then I remembered I'm running out of sheets at home to practice my dressmaking on so for £2.99 I wasn't really going to leave it behind. I love the blues and purples. I also think it would look good backing a quilt.

Vintage Sheets

Not only has Mary created a monster introducing me to vintage sheets, but I've found some beauties over the last few days. I'm definitely on a roll!

Oh and it looks like there will be a round two of The UK and Ireland Vintage Sheet FQ Swap early in the new year. So if you're in the UK or Ireland get hunting in your local charity shops and car boot sales. Join the flickr group too so you can scope out any lovelies people are finding already! Addicted much - who me?



9 comments:

  1. Fabulous finds! I never seem to strike lucky in charity shops, there must always be someone just ahead of me beating me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What luck! They do make great quilt backs too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great finds. Keep looking. You will soon have the ladies in the shops keeping the sheets aside for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely, looking forward to seeing what you make with them x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurrah - another addict and fortunately not close enough to me to get to the charity shops before me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are certainly on a roll .. where next? lol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the duvet cover! My rule of thumb is if I like it and think I might use it for a quilt back I buy it - vintage or not! You'll never find cheaper fabric.

    I've read that you should pop into your local charity shops as often as you can as the good stuff goes quickly. It also pays to ask the staff if they have any bed linen out the back - I once got three double sheets and a double duvet for £7.50 by asking x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely patterns. There are now two second-hand shops in Sparta and I found some lovely duvet covers and sheets. I am also thinking of using them as backs for quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)