Saturday, 30 November 2013

Sharing my Shame

I am going to try my advent blogging thing again. You know where I blog every day up until Christmas starting tomorrow, so I thought I'd flex my blogging muscles and show you what I've been doing since yesterday afternoon and er...share my shame.


Todays mission. @ochil_lynz  I told you it was baaaaad

This was the photo I took this morning of the area I could use for cutting if it wasn't full of crap! The decluttering started yesterday after work as I started to turn out the chest of drawers that holds my fabric and other sewing bits and bobs.  I thought I'd find out some fabric for my niece to practise on now that she's taken up sewing and is trying to improve her sewing machine skills. She had come around one afternoon after school but being full of cold it was really a 'how a sewing machine works' and health and safely lesson. (Don't try watching the TV and sewing kind of thing.)

I even put Mum to work on sorting charm squares from swaps, left over from projects or just gifts from kind sewing friends.  By the end of the afternoon they were bagged up with my other charm packs. I'm not sure what criteria half of them were sorted by. But at least they are all in one place now. Not shoved in various drawers.


I've got mum sorting charms on the sofa

This is what the top picture looks like after a bit of work. I went through the two drawer units on the bench and the wicker hamper.  I can now see properly some of the lovely goodies I've had in swaps and as gifts over the years. 

Definite improvement.  I could cut if I wanted to!
Excuse the bad Instagram pics. Why is this one kind of photography I can't do even half 
decently? People have been following my clean up on IG all day!

It's amazing what I've found whilst sorting out. I didn't think I had more than a couple of packs of machine needles (although I was sure I had bought several packs at various times.) I found assorted unopened packs all over. They are now in a little drawer of their own. I've found I do have more machine bobbins than I thought - ditto thread. I found some jewellery I thought I'd lost for good. (In the container I thought it was in!)

Seeing as I've saved every plastic press seal bag sent to me (!) I've put all my WIP's in labelled plastic bags in a wicker basket. It's far better than having piles of projects waiting to be finished or in some cases started!

The living room still has unsorted patterns and fabric strewn across it. There are random items on the dining room table. But I see a time when I can sew in the dining room and eat in the dining room and not only will I know what I have...but I may actually really start to enjoy sewing again.




14 comments:

  1. Wow, you've made a great start. Every sewist totally understands and has great empathy, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its been good to see the progress throughout the day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made progress today, I really struggled organising mine after all our building work, sometimes it's so hard to know where to start. Time to make a scarf now?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good, there's nothing quite so satisfying as a good sort out! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love a good sort out and it looks much better now - I'm glad to hear that your mojo is on its way back from wherever it's been!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't so much need a sort-out as a throw-out! Admiring your clean-up prowess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done..... I know where you are coming from and my own room is in a terrible star....might tackle it tomorrow! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a good job well done! Really must do the same myself...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on the cleaning! I'm giggling at the idea of your mum sorting those charms with a random criteria, I was wondering as I read it what you'd told her to do lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trying to do the same thing.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Jan! I do think a good clear up of the sewing kind helps to clear your mind too! Now to start stitching....??

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH WOW! want to come and tackle mine! .. looks a LOT worse than your did !! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so badly need to do the same. Ugh. I can't face it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good! I try and keep mine in a condition where I can always do a quick bit of sewing or cutting if I get 5 mins, but mine is the worst it's ever been at the moment- I actually started 4 projects all at once this weekend like some kind of imbecile so I have no idea what I'm doing and stuff in piles everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)