Sunday, 1 December 2013

Advent 1: Celebrating Bean

I was one of the fortunate ladies that got to attend a virtual baby shower for Sarah last night. It was the brainchild of organiser Rhonda.  There has been a private flickr group so Sarah couldn't see what we were plotting, planning and making for her and we've been sending off shower gifts for her to open on the night for several weeks now. All this secrecy has meant I couldn't show you what I made until now.

Actually I really racked my brain what to make once I realised that whilst she might not mind having 20+ baby quilts, maybe I should make something different. But what?! I can't knit so no cute baby knitting and my dressmaking is not up to scratch. In the end I decided to have a go at making a baby changing mat. I looked online for tutorials; the only ones I could find just reinforced what I had in my mind to do, so I did it my way.


baby changing mat

This is the business side. It's a new hand towel with the edge and hems trimmed off. I wanted to make something a decent size as babies can (soon) be longer than expected. I had half a yard of the birdie fabric, which I had to join for the backing and the overlap. It matched the grey towel so well I just had to use it.

baby changing mat
Excuse the scrap of towel photo bombing the picture.

I didn't quilt through the layers because between the front and backing is a layer of nylon ripstop fabric, that I'm hoping will make the mat baby bean-pee proof. The whole mat can easily be slung in the washing machine and also rolls (or folds) up, so it could be used on the go.

baby changing mat

As for the party - well that was fun!  At one point it looked like it might not work out as poor Sarah had no broadband. Thankfully she managed to phone into the party - although this meant we didn't get to see her. It was sad that there was only space for six webcams because it would have been nice to see the senders reactions as Sarah opened their gifts. Luckily we could either hear or read what people were saying. It was amazing it all worked so well given the attendees were spread all over the world.



I was quite pleased to be able to put my webcam off - no make up and covered in thread from decluttering!

I think we'll do this again, only a smaller scale so we can easily talk and see each other. What a great way of meeting up with quilty friends who are spread all over.



9 comments:

  1. awww, so glad it went well! I was really sad to miss it :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it fun - clever you grabbing a snap of the webcams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerat way to spend a couple of hours. Your change mat is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila looks downright miserable lol Great idea on the mat though

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was really great to get together like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your changing mat is gorgeous and looks like a fun evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetie you did a fabulous job, the changing mat is ideal, and honestly I was secretly hoping someone would make one!! Thank you so much x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)