Friday, 9 May 2014

Not so much falling as jumping...

It has been a strange week. Only last weekend as I walked the fields I pondered how this year I'd got through this much of it with only one funeral to go to. So unlike last year when it felt like friends and family were dropping like flies. But I must have jinxed things because on Wednesday I was shocked to discover via facebook that one of my closest friends at primary schooled had died from Myeloma. She leaves behind a devastated family and two small children. Even though I had very little contact with her as an adult my heart goes out to them all and I've been struggling to get my head around it all. Reflecting on the fragility of life and remembering those little incidents and details of a childhood friendship together: She was the girl who dramatically had her glasses broken and face smashed in a bat flinging incident during a break time game of rounders, the girl who introduced me to Nancy Drew and Judy Blume books and made me and (a few others) little cards when we left primary school to go to different schools, thanking us for being her best friend at primary school.

Cow Parsley Study

The funeral is next week when I had the day off to spend with Chief before he flies off to foreign parts. In the mean time I've been trying to take my mind off things by sewing. I was going to spend the evening making PJ pants from FQR13 class. Until I realised the fabric I want to use I'd not got around to prewashing. So whilst I'm waiting for that to dry I'm going to buy fabric. Yes, I know I'm on a fabric diet and have been really good up to now. But I don't so much as feel as if I'm falling off the waggon as jumping. I have been coveting some fabric for a couple of projects and I don't think this fabric will hang around in the shop when the fabric diet ends and I have been toying with the idea of extending the fabric diet beyond the 6 months anyway. And as my friends untimely death has proven. Sometimes you have to live now and not for the future, because none of us know what that holds.

13 comments:

  1. Sorry for the sad loss of your childhood friend. It does makes you take stock. I hope you manage some relaxing sewing and I think you're justified in a little happy shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your friend's family Jan. Hope the sewing helps you relax this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((Hugs))) Sorry For The Loss Of Your Friend. I Lost My High School Bessie Mate Last Year, As You Found, It Left Me Shocked And Saddened For Her Family And Acutely Aware Of The Fragility Of Life. My Rebound Purchase Was The Sewing Machine I'd Been Coveting, So Don't Feel Bad About A BIt Of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words reflect what himself has been feeling as he too lost a childhood friend very recently. He said - 'I just want to do things, not think about them, do them.' Life is too unpredictable and losing people that were important to you at any given time in your life is always horrible. A huge hug and I hope you found all the fabric that you wanted. And lots of it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. makes you stop and re-evaluate how we spend our time and what is TRUELY important in this short precious life we are given x enjoy your fabric .. and time with family and friends x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear the news, losing a friend, even one you haven't seen in years/decades is shocking and makes you re-evaluate what you're doing. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is sad. You are so right about living in the now x

    ReplyDelete
  8. sometimes it is good to treat yourself, and at times like this you deserve to be spoilt. So sorry about your friend, it is even more difficult when our peers die. Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some times something makes you stop and think and reflect on your own future. I hope the sewing helps you get through the next week. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always quite a shock to be hit out of the blue with news like this.
    It certainly makes us reflect and take stock.Take care.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for your loss. Childhood friends are so special. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)