Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Turtles and Clamshells

Yes, Chief made it back to the country. No, he couldn't stay for the weekend. (There was no way he could manage our cottage stairs) What he did manage was to call in for a coffee (because I just happen to live not that far from the airport he flew into.), an assisted shower and to deliver a goody bag of swag he picked up on the island. I also got to see a sampling of the 5000+ (yes, you read that right.) Photographs he took on his trip.  Once he'd headed back home to see his doctor and sort out a hospital appointment for an x-ray, I could get on with stitching my clamshells together.

I found the process relaxing, but didn't manage to get even pointy bits of my clamshells. I'm happy with how it turned out though.  I suspect it would be hard to find a method of doing clamshells better than Fiona's. So if you're thinking of doing hand sewn clamshells yourself I'd urge you to check out the tute.

I had some company as I sat and stitched in the form of Little Bebe Turtle one of the things in my swag bag from Chief. Also kind of ironic because I hadn't expected any kind of gift from Chiefs trip as I knew he had very little down time and Ascension is hardly a shopping Mecca. When he mentioned in his last call he hoped he got home to give me my present; Mum and I joked about what he might have found me. From Cyprus he brought me back a wild Flamingo feather. I said to Mum maybe it's a little baby turtle. It's something I'd love to see in the wild.


Saturday night sewing
Little Bebe Turtle checking out my work in progress

I used probably two thirds of a charm pack and lots of other random charms I'd collected from swaps and gifts. The backing of the cushion is some Essex Linen I found on the side by my cutting mat. If I'd bought it for another project, I can't remember what! I quilted the  back with the same variegated Aurifil as I'd used to hand quilt the clamshells. I was aiming for a very organic wonky straight line and I sort of achieved it.  The inside lining (because I thought that was better than just leaving the unfinished wadding.) is a white curtain lining someone gave me recently. There is a little bit of pink trim on the back was left over from binding another quilt that I've not shown you finished yet! And I didn't get a picture of the back. I have been waiting for decent weather to take the front shot. But that isn't about to happen any time soon!


Clamshells and Turtles

I need to get a fatter cushion form so it fills out and looks nice and plump.

All in all a good weekends work I think, especially as it's all made from stash. It went some way to making up for not having the weekend with Chief I'd hoped for.

13 comments:

  1. It's very pretty! Glad he's back and hope the X-Rays don't show anything too scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed your last post so went back to read what happened! I really hope Chief is ok and it's not serious! The cushion is very beautiful :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so, SO lovely, I've tweeted it and stared at it again on Instagram too. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so, SO lovely, I've tweeted it and stared at it again on Instagram too. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. at least you got to see him for a little while ... and claim your lovely pressy at the same time xx cushion looks good x well one x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really pretty cushion, I love the mix of colours used. One day I will be brave enough to try this design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice clams, and the wee turtle is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must feel so better for having seen Chief. I love your clamshells but they do deserve a fatter cushion pad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful cushion!! I've never epp-ed, this makes me at least think about giving it a go. *g* I do hope Chief is okay, a sore back is a major pain. Quite literally!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that he managed to get back, hope he's soon recovered. The cushion is gorgeous, thanks for the tut link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the clamshells. Glad you got to see each other

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)