Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Doing the Justification Dance - Fabric Fast Check In Time

Regular readers will know I jumped off the not buying fabric waggon in May to buy this fabric:

Good Mail

You can read about why I bought this fabric here. I think all things considered I was pretty restrained. I only bought fabric I had a specific use for and in at least one case I was fairly sure this fabric would not hang around long enough to still be available after I've finished dieting. I also had a voucher to spend at Southern Fabrics thanks to a give away hosted by Lily's Quilts. Spending the $25 voucher meant spending another $28 dollars in postage and making up a small amount of purchasing shortfall.  Despite all the lovely fabrics at Southern Fabrics I struggled to choose what to buy. All of my very first choices were out of stock. I really was spoilt for choice though because there is so much loveliness there! I seem to be out of the fabric shopping habit. I am also finding my mindset at the moment has changed towards fabric. I'm making more by not buying fabric to hoard. I seem to remember this is what happened last time I went on a fabric diet. I really think I'm more motivated by using up what I've got than wanting to add to it!

Anyway, so I didn't feel quite so bad for bringing in new fabric I've done a little monitoring of the fabric I've removed from my stash during May:

Aeroplane bag (in addition to pieces I'd already cut out)  1 yard
Laundry bag. 3/4 yard
Pyjamas 21/4 yards
Sew Mama Sew Give Away 1 Charm Pack and Scraps
Voile Scarf - 1/2 yard of newly purchased fabric above.
Clamshell Cushion - 3/4 yard of recycled cotton curtain, 1/2 yard of Essex Linen for backing, 45 charm squares

Before I had chance to post this on the blog my Southern Fabrics order arrived so I thought you'd want to see what I've got.

Good Mail Day!

I have decided that whilst I may relax a bit on the fasting - call it a fabric diet now not a fast. I am going to do monthly check ins to see what I've used against what I've added to the stash.



4 comments:

  1. you can be forgiven as it is such beautiful fabric xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've done very well! I should probably join this fast after my recent number of purchases!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the reasoning behind the first fabrics, but my healthier for you than a choccie binge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)