Saturday, 19 July 2014

Poolside Tote

Well, get me finishing two things on my Finish-A-long Quarter 3 list!  (You can just picture me doing a silly little smug dance can't you?) I've actually had one of those crazy busy weeks. You know the kind when you book one appointment because the week is free, then turn around and find meetings to go to, more appointments and generally spend the week rushing around, with the feeling that none of it's been for anything fun. I just needed to get sewing by the time the weekend came around. A little thread shortage held me back from getting on too far, thankfully before I'd even got out of bed on Saturday an order from The Village Haberdashery had arrived to save the day.


Poolside Tote 80%

The Poolside Tote is Anna's latest pattern. I'm a huge fan of her bag patterns and have lost count of how many of her bags I've made. In fact I think I prefer her patterns to any others I've made. I reduced the Poolside Tote pattern pieces to 80%. This was for two reasons. It was going to take a lot of fabric to make a full sized one and this made me realise - along with pics of the bag next to people - that the full sized bag might be a bit big for a small person like me.

I reduced the pocket pieces by 20% too. They only thing I forgot to adjust was the straps. I didn't realise my mistake until the bag was finished and I thought - hmmm how comes the accent pieces are slightly smaller than the handles. But really I think the error is so minor that nobody will pay it much attention.

I used half a yard of Navy Essex Linen for the exterior, half a yard of the lining fabric and half a yard for the handles, facings and accent pieces. I hadn't actually got enough of the Navy Essex Linen left over to do pockets without joining some together. So I did this for the lining of the zipped pocket and used a fat quarter of the pretty potent Echinacea fabric to make two pockets. One a slip pocket and one a zip pocket.


Poolside Tote at 80%

I created the slip pocket by cutting it twice as tall as needed and folding it over and top stitching.  This means I get an extra pop of those lovely flowers inside and out.

Poolside Tote at 80% 
I didn't faff around making the facing as the pattern suggested. I'm not keen on using the machine for temporary basting. It has never been very successful for me. So I interfaced and made the facing into a loop as told and then after using a scant seam to join the lining to outer I then stitched the facing in place and when I flipped it over I hand sewed the facing down inside, as you would a quilt binding. I then did one layer of top stitching around the outside to finish everything off.

I also left the handles straight. I was not confident my machine could cope with so many stiff layers of handle. If my machine struggles with bag making it's the multiple layers often found in handles. 

Poolside Tote at 80%

The bag stands up by itself because I chose to use some car scrim which people often use instead of soft and stable. I had some left over from making an Aeroplane bag. It means the bag has a nice foamy softness to it.

Now I just need the poolside in which to model it. Although as this is a reduced version maybe a paddling pool would be more the order of the day?

Finish Along 2014

If you're looking for my blogiversary giveaway pop along here.

13 comments:

  1. Perfection!!! Gorgeous fabric combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving it. Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bag. The echinacea (please ignore rubbish spelling) print is my current favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, don't let those 2 finishes go to your head now ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how quickly you managed to turn a fabric and thread delivery into a finished bag! It's beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's great! I love those pretty potent flowers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic, you're really making me want to make one, a smaller one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. Reducing it is a great idea! Hope you get to use it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)