Monday, 18 August 2014

Bournemouth - a distant memory now

By the time you read this I'll be back at work. (sob.) Last week I had a weeks leave from work and was off on my annual Bournemouth holiday. It's become a tradition and despite my saying I'd never want to be the sort of person that goes to holiday in the same place every year (it's a bit like re-reading books there are just too many to read to keep revisiting the same old ones.), my mum and I have been taking my niece there since 2007. Same hotel. Same high level of fun. Just slightly different activities. Niece has even requested a trip next year too. At 14 I was surprised she wanted to go with us this year.

I'd been in a complete funk before we left. Just really down. The prospect of horrendous weather while we were away and Chief not being able to make it for even a day this year, really dragged me down further. The tail end of the hurricane weather hit a few hours before we were due to load up the car, so we delayed going. We were all frantically checking weather reports and I was researching things to do in the rain. But then the closer we got to Bournemouth the better the weather seemed to be and by the afternoon when the whole family sat on the terrace over looking the pool I took this snap.

Sunday at Bournemouth

Such a blue sky and for the rest of the week we were so lucky with the weather. It was showery, but on most occasions we had just gone indoors only to find when we looked out of the window it was raining!

We had day trips on the bus to Poole and also went on the open topped bus tour which did a different route to last year.

Bournemouth 2014
The Pier at Bournemouth

Sunday at Bournemouth


Bournemouth 2014
Cosmos growing around the crazy golf course. (the only time we got caught in a shower
was playing crazy golf here!)

Bournemouth 2014

Bournemouth 2014



Poole, Tuesday
Niece and I at Poole. The wind has helped protect her anonymity 

Poole, Tuesday


Paddling

You have to have a paddle at the seaside!


Memorial to Red Arrows
Memorial to the the Red Arrow who crashed and died at Bournemouth Air Festival
a few years ago.

Herring Gull?
Huge gull wanted our lunch!

Bournemouth, Thursday
Beach huts freshly painted after last winters storms.

Last night in Bournemouth


Last night in Bournemouth

Our last night. Niece showed us how to play this fun card game and we would sit
in the bar playing it after our meal.

It was so great to be away from work and all the things that drag me down in day to day life. It took me a while to get used to using a bridge camera and not my DSLR. The break has made me realise that I need to make some changes to my life moving forward. Stress has been dragging me down emotionally and physically and I really need to find little ways of changing that. 






9 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good relaxing time and that the weather was nice to you. Now hopefully you can apply your de-stressing techniques and look forward to some good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like doing different things for vacation but there was one place that we went to 9 years in a row and it was like going home. That's when I would really relax. Revisit favorite places. I miss it so.

    Stress can trash you physically and mentally. I hope you find a solution for yours. I'm still searching but I am more aware and am starting to feel better some days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! I do hope you can work out the changes you need to be happy. And I agree with Corrinea - sometimes visiting certain places (in book form too!) is like returning home. As long as it's not at the expense of new experiences then what's the harm? Niece is looking so grown up! She must love hanging with you both to request a visit next year, too. what a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's surprising how a break can make you feel perkier (is that a word?)and make you look at your everyday life differently. I hope you get things sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've taken brilliant pictures. Her aunt and her gran, who she has great fun with, hmm can't think why she'd like to go again. I bet you'll all still be going in 10 years and nowt wrong with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great week! Good luck with the baggage sorting

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a lovely holiday (it always does!) - I hope you manage to work out a solution for your stresses x

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like you had a good time, and your photos are really good. love the beach huts and the gull.
    I like to do a combination, whilst I love going to new places, every time I go to Oxford or London, it feels like home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love those beach huts! Bah for being back at work :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)