Sunday, 24 August 2014

My 10 Quilty Little Secrets

13 Spools

Having started seeing 10 Quilty Little Secrets popping up over our little slice of blogiverse thanks to Molli Sparkles (where you can grab the button.) and Amy at 13 Spools I thought I'd share some of my dirty sewing laundry with you. I haven't read a single blog post about this where I haven't identified with at least one of those 10 Quilty Secrets!

1. I don't prewash. Unless it's flannel. (Then I always mean to zigzag around the edges to stop fraying in the wash and rarely do, so have that big hot mess of thread tangle to deal with.) 

2. I don't like spray basting. It's sticky and messy and just doesn't work for me.

3. I've never changed my rotary blade. Ever. I don't have a spare and I'm not sure what size my rotary cutter is anyway. (I do have an unused rotary cutter that I keep meaning to use instead.) 

4. I hate the quilting part of making a quilt. 

5. I do the best I can do and that's not perfect and I don't expect perfection in others. (We're making quilts not parachutes. Nobody is going to die if we cut the fabric wrong, sew a seam wrong or completely mess something up.) 

6. I do a lot of my stitching and prep in front of the tv. I could never do this for a living because often I only get to the sewing machine in the adverts...(I pieced my red and white squares Christmas lap quilt in the adverts of Sleepless in Seattle  You've Got Mail. Just saying.) 

7. I'm scared of destashing any long unused fabric because the moment it's gone I'll have the perfect project for it.

8. I use a dent puller (you know for pulling dents out of car body work) on my quilting rulers because it's cheaper than a quilting ruler handle. And hey I don't want to slice my fingers on a never-changed-rotary-blade do I?

9. All the patterns and tutorials on the Internet have made me lazy. I rarely design my own stuff now because it's easier to find it done already by someone else. Likewise it irks me when I see people rehashing some long standing idea/tutorial/design and acting like they just invented the wheel.

10. I've got much better at training myself to change the needle in the machine and not sew until the stitches start skipping. But I'm still rubbish at throwing away the blunt needles and bent pins. (Apparently when Chief half left a sharps bin here, it was for his diabetic needles, not to help me dispose of my sharps responsibly. It was an easy mistake to make!)

So there you go ten of my quilty little secrets. What are yours?


19 comments:

  1. Me too, me too. Although I do get the Hubz to change that rotary blade every now and then.

    And i like tying quilts.

    Yay, us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list of confessions! I'm not sure I could be so honest... but I will say I can identify myself in a few of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those old, blunt needles are for Foundation Paper piecing! and making superb stitched wrapping paper for pressies! So you are right to not throw them away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1,3, 4, 5, 7, etc. I agree with so many of your list. I know I really should clean my machine one day too as it has never been cleaned, when I put in a spool I blow in the general area to get rid of fluff. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could identify with quite a few of those - I don't wash either (fabric, I wash myself occasionally). I bought a new blade for my cutter but couldn't get it put together again and had to buy another cutter. Handle for ruler? Do I need one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's it - I'm sending you a bumper pack of new rotary blades. You won't know yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly agree with the second part of no. 9.
    There's so much rehashing out there. It drives me mad when people do that and then go on about how they're a designer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just shared mine! hehe what fun! love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreeing heartily with nearly all of these!! I haven't seen any of them about - I must go looking! But the rotary cutter - really?!?! Dude. It makes such a difference you wouldn't believe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1 & 2 yes! But 3!! I start to go crazy when I have to swipe that rotary cutter more than twice to slice through the fabric. I don't like getting frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jesus, are you and Susan trying to put the rotary cutter blade makers out of business?! It really does make a huge difference though, and there's not many size options to get confuddled over (the 'regular' size being 45mm) I would worry less about the ruler slipping as much as getting a tetanus shot for when it does ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 3,4,7 are totally me too! You never know when that perfect pattern or idea will come to you that will be a perfect match to your stash fabric

    ReplyDelete
  13. Between your posts and the comments, I have tears in my eyes I am laughing so hard! Number 5 had me giggling to the point that my husband thinks he might have to call those guys in the white coats again ;) LOL BTW, I saw where someone was using their used needles to hang their mini quilts... and don't get me started on mini quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reinventing the wheel, I sooo agree! I do recommend you change your blade, you will be amazed!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing! Some of those made me giggle! I don't prewash for quilting. But the blades thing! Don't worry about cutting your fingers in number 8, if you've never changed your blade I'm surprised you can cut the fabric. ­čśë

    ReplyDelete
  16. 8 is genius but I cannot believe you never changed the blade- do you have a sharpener? I must go through one a month if I don't sharpen it ir my mat ends up raggy as hell and my fabric cuts are like dotted lines....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did destash a couple of years ago and totally regret getting rid of some of it. Lesson learned! I will never do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you on the second point - I've used spray on one quilt (long story but it was the best/most accurate way to layer that project) and I hated it. It brought my hands and forearms out in a bright red rash (like I'd been scalded), made me wheeze, my eyes water, my nose run and my mouth and throat scratch. I have the remains of the tin in my sewing room, I should see if someone else wants it ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)