Friday, 1 August 2014

Last Weekend

I realise we're on the cusp of this weekend and I haven't told you about last! It'll act as a little diversion from the sewing I've been doing and can't show you for a while longer. (Hopefully I can this weekend!)

I'd had a pretty horrible week last week due to a two day heat/stress/exhaustion induced migraine thingy. By the time I finished work on Friday I was feeling pretty stressed and wobbly. Chief was parked next to my car in the car park I use for work. I knew he was coming down, but hadn't expected that surprise. We headed off to the place in the Chiltern's we know feeds the kites and you're guaranteed to get some close up shots of them swooping down to feed. I haven't gone through my pics yet so can only show you this one:


Red Kites

You get about 30 kites circling, before they swoop down one after an other in little groups to pick up the left over lunches and breakfasts. Chief really wanted to go back there as he'd not got any pictures since he bought a new big lens. (500mm)

The next day we went off to Blenheim Palace. We'd converted our tickets from the last visit into an annual pass so we can now go back whenever we want without having to pay entrance fees again. There is so much to see and do at Blenheim and everything seems so well organised and put together. I can see why this is a big tourist attraction and world heritage site.


Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire

Blenheim Palace - well part of it. I need to practise not having my buildings look like they are wonky or falling over!


Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire
There are several lakes you can walk around.

Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire
We had lunch sat on this terrace. The food is really nice.
Although the queues not so good.

Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire

Me and an old bird. Chief bought me the hat because I said I wanted one to keep the sun off my head. We had to call in to a sports shop on our way as he needed trainer liners. He also bought me the lovely purple shoes, which I risked putting straight on. So comfy and no blisters at the end of the day. LOVE them! (not least because they are purple!)

Blenheim Palace Oxfordshire

There are quite a few water features. I really wanted to run through this by the end of the hot day!

Blenheim Palace Oxfordshire

Did I mention he has a big lens? The amount of looks and comments you get carrying this beast around!

Blenheim Palace Oxfordshire

On our way home Chief bought a BBQ. He'd used a disposable one the night before, but decided we really needed a proper one. He's really into BBQing.

Bbq is built and chief is trying it out

The next morning we had a quick trip to a nature reserve I'd come across in the middle of a local housing estate. It's called the C S Lewis nature reserve because the land used to belong to C S Lewis. His house is nearby and this land would have once been part of his garden. The nature reserve is small with large ponds and such a great space for families. In fact there were several pond dipping when we arrived.

CS Lewis Nature Reserve

I can easily see why it's thought this area inspired Narnia. Outside the house is the most gorgeous planted flower bed.

CS Lewis Nature Reserve

Then it was time for Chief to make the 2.5 hour journey back home. We're going through quite a stressy time at the moment as Chief has been served with 3 months notice and no redundancy. It was the worse possible scenario out of those on the table. It was so nice to have a weekend where we relaxed and chilled and didn't think about what the future might hold.

11 comments:

  1. oh no - what a shame about the job. I hope something else comes up soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely way to end a nasty week .. fingers crossed something will come along in the way of a job .. never give up hope xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such interesting sights to see where you live. I don't quite no what "no redundancy" means but I take it Chief has been given notice at his job. Which is confusing me because I thought he was in the army or some branch of it. And I didn't think they ever let anyone go - well unless there were "issues".

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a good weekend... As for the notice, well, at least you may get to spend a bit more time with chief now, no redundancy? well, you will be fine anyway! You are both positive and resourceful people, and it will work itself out! Chin up!
    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, thanks for being ready to give everything for more than thirty years, leave your uniform by the door on your way out! There WILL be something round the corner, try not to worry. It does look like a beautiful weekend you had and sometimes its needed to just ignore what's going on and have a good time. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lovely weekend but I'm sorry (and cross) to hear about Chief's job - what a way to treat a member of our armed forces who's given so many years of service to his country. I hope that something splendid in the job (and housing) line comes up that's much, much closer to you - I'll keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well crap on the job front, but lets hope he finds something in the 3 months between now and when he's offed.

    As for the pics, they do put that wee grid in the viewfinder for a reason you know, like avoiding the Pisa effect ;o) And if you think his lens was big, you want to have seen some at the games!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about Chief's job.... does this mean there could be positive changes on the horizon. Very envious of the purple shoes, where did you get those from??? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry to hear about all the uncertainty. Hope that new doors open for you. That last photo of the pink flower is absolutely stunning - I could look at it all day xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely weekend! Here's to hoping maybe your chief can turn a hobby into a business? In the meantime just enjoy the being together part as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)