Sunday, 3 August 2014

Tea for Two

Friday after work, my friend and I went off for afternoon tea at the Old Parsonage Hotel in Oxford. It's a hotel I was aware of but had never been to before.  I like playing tourist in my home city. All to often when I venture the six or so miles from my rural home into the city, it's to go to high street stores like Marks and Spencers and Fat Face. Of course I see the dreaming spires Oxford is so famous for when the bus trundles up the High. But most of the time I take them for granted and forget that behind big wooden doors, stone walls, wrought iron railings and narrow passage ways is a totally different Oxford. An Oxford you see in episodes of Inspector Morse or Lewis. The Oxford that tempts tourists in from all over the world.


The Old Parsonage
Old Parsonage Hotel where we went for Afternoon Tea

Afternoon Tea at The Old Parsonage
The hotel has bikes for guests. 

Afternoon Tea at The Old Parsonage
Through this gate is one of Oxfords busiest roads!

Afternoon Tea at The Old Parsonage
Me contemplating another sandwich

Tea for two
Tea for Two

Afternoon Tea at The Old Parsonage
At 5.30pm they set the tables with these really pretty copper tea light holders.
Really wanted one for my patio but thought it would be bad form to pop it
in my handbag. Not to mention the fire risk, given the lit tea light.

So that was afternoon tea. I could get used to this. But probably shouldn't as I have sewing to get back to.


7 comments:

  1. does us all good to step outside of our normal once in a while .. to look with new eyes and see the world go by from a different angle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely way to spend a little time! and I can see why you were tempted with that copper tea light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a lovely outing in such interesting surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely. Like the bikes too! We take our home towns for granted too often! I lived for 6 years in Amsterdam before I visited the Anne Frank house. And that, because I had a friend over from abroad and he wanted to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a lovely afternoon! I do like being a tourist in my own area - having a dog helps with the 'I think I'll just see what's down here' wandering ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lovely way to spend the day. I'm afraid Oxford to me is always CORC Regatta and Sainsbury's on the ring road lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)