Saturday, 2 August 2014

The Big Stitch Swap!

A few hours sewing this morning and I've finished my The Big Stitch Swap item. Feeling a bit smug that I've not only managed to get it finished before the posting window opens up, but I've also got a third item on my Finish-A-Long list completed.

The Big Stitch Swap is the first online swap I've taken part in for years. It was a new swap where the priority is hand sewing. Whatever you chose to make for your partner the over all emphasis had to be on the hand sewing. This was great for two reasons: one - hand sewing is so flexible out in the garden in the sunshine; two - it really gave a lot of scope to what item you wanted to make and also which hand sewing you chose to feature. Whether that was embroidery, hand quilting, English Paper piecing, applique or something different...lots of choices.

Until now I've only given sneaky peeks at what I've been making. I can now reveal I made my partner a note book cover.


Note Book Cover

I started off by making an English Paper Pieced panel of one inch hexies. I used glue basting for that and am totally converted. I added some Essex linen scraps either end, leaving enough on the front to give me a panel to embroider later. I then hand quilted with perle the hexies in red and pale blue/aqua.


Note Book Cover

The strip of Essex linen at the back adds a nice contrast and was essential due to a slight cutting mishap - one of two that nearly had me tearing my hair out. (Given that slicing up wrong a hand sewn panel was going to take a lot of work to re-do completely!)

Note Book Cover

Most of the patterned fabric I used it Lake House Dry Goods - in particular Annie's Farm Stand. There is also a few random texty fabrics and some Farmdale into the mix to stop it looking too matchy matchy.

I discovered most notebooks are a standard height, although not a standard depth or width. Largely depending on number of pages or whether the pages pull off straight from the spiral binding or from a perforated tab attached to the binding. I have hopefully left enough wiggle room that the notebook could easily be replaced.

As for the notebook cover pattern. Totally winged it. I had an idea in my head I hoped would work, so just got on with it, rather than hunting for a pattern. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I hope my partner is too.


Note Book Cover

The Big Stitch Swap

Finish Along 2014



14 comments:

  1. well done .. not only a great make ... but early too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! How about a little tutorial on how you made the book cover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! Maybe it will come to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, your partner's going to love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, your partner's going to love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so lovely, Jan! And very timely - nice job missus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I trust you are now a complete convert to winging almost anything! Joined my gang!

    Lovely notebook, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this and really should have a try myself at making one. I have to admit to seriously regretting not taking part in this swap, there are so many gorgeous things appearing on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely book cover Jan, love the hexies up against the linen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done! I don't ever look for patterns for notebook covers precisely because of the vastly varying sizes you can get. Looks like you've done an admirable job though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just visiting... And loved this notebook cover at first sight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a great swap present - I'm sure your partner will be thrilled :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)