Friday, 19 September 2014

All Change

Fabric drawers emptied onto living room floor! Big sort out coming on!

See that pile up there? That's the contents of my fabric stash drawers. It was all neatly-ish folded in the drawers. Pretty crammed and all that, but still folded. So you can be forgiven for wondering why on earth I dumped it all out onto the living room floor this afternoon.

Well, the plan is to relocate the drawers into the adjoining dining/sewing room and sorting it all out so that it becomes a proper dining-cum-sewing room. Rather than a place where I sew at my machine, whilst surrounded by detritus. I'm rarely able to eat at the dining room table and I'd like to say that was because creative stuff was happening. In reality the room is just a dumping ground for anything crafty and stuff that doesn't have a home else where.

The chest is now relocated and drawers back to their crammed state. I said I'd never destash because the moment fabric is gone I'll wish I hadn't. Really there is some fabric I'll never use. The question is would anyone else want it either? 

I am going to have to be ruthless. Once upon a time the said chest of drawers actually held paper and card making materials. All that has been decanted into a big plastic box under the area where I cut for some time. I need to go through it and destash lots of other craft materials I'll be unlikely to use again. I haven't ventured into the craft tubs under the cutting area for months - years maybe. I really feel it needs to be a case of use it or lose it.

So wish me luck. This is going to be a hard one.

12 comments:

  1. Be brave but not *totally* ruthless. You can have 3 piles. Keep, go and not-sure-lets-put-you-in-a-box-for-3-months-to-see. That's what I do with destash stuff I'm not sure about. Fabric AND craft. And you won't know if your unwantables are desirable until you show us! Best of British! (I can still say that! What with still being a Brit an' all. *g*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny how some fabrics I thought I'd never use, seem to go with a lot of patterns, and some I bought and love, don't go with anything else I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD LUCK... OMG you have folded fabric!! .. you can come and fold mine anytime xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always impressed by the stash piles I see on blogs especially when they are neatly folded. I am sure someone else would love your fabric, you could sell it, have a giveaway, or make it up into pouches as presents. I often use my now unloved fabric in gifts that I make because I know the colours are ones my friends will like. It is also easy to hide less favourite fabric in hexie EPP designs. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make a scrappy trippy - even those fabrics we're not sure about get happily absorbed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck, i find that really hard too. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck- it's clear out season it seems.... if you destash any browns, give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck- it's clear out season it seems.... if you destash any browns, give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So with the excess fabric that you'll never, ever use, I use that to wrap pressies in for non-fabric savvy people ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you do know the moment you get rid of some it, is the moment you need it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)