Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Opps I'm a bit late with this. As despite dragging myself out of my sick bed at the weekend to start on it I haven't been back online to post it! Sorry! 

I've been tagged by the lovely Lynz in the Around the World Blog Hop (and I've dragged myself out of my sick bed to play along. So excuse any rubbish I may type - over and above normal that is.)

So for those of you that don't know me and are checking in because of the blog hop I'll tell you a bit about myself.

Quilting/sewing is just one of my passions. I also love to read, spend time out doors and if I can combine photography with any of the others so much the better. I live in Oxfordshire, England and my other half: Chief is in the army. (For the time being at least.)

Onto the questions:

1. What am I working on

Ok, I'll be completely honest but I've not done a single stitch on my sewing machine since before my holiday in August. It's not so much lack of motivation, but lack of time as two weeks after that holiday I had another week off which involved some more travelling. Now I'm getting back to normal I have a lurgy. But the project I most want to get back to is this:


Bank Holiday Monday
This epp wafers pattern is by Nellies Niceties and is destined to become a cushion.



Before I get back to much sewing though I plan on a huge declutter/clear up which might just see at the end of it my dining room become my proper sewing room. I've also bought 6 cushion pads so I do need to get on with making some more cushions.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Umm it doesn't really. I am not a trend setter and am not entirely convinced that many of the trendsetters out there are doing anything that original either.  My tastes are pretty eclectic. Often driven by nothing more than the love of different fabrics and colours. 

3. Why do I create/write what I do?

Really I could have gone in any number of directions. I've certainly tried a variety of crafts over the years: jewellery making, embroidery, print making, lace making, card making - you name it I may well have tried it. I've always been drawn to textiles and by luck about four years ago I found this wonderfully creative community over on flickr and that got me started on blogging and firmly placed me in the quilting/sewing world. Sometimes I long to get back to the more art textiles, but as it doesn't seem to sit with what I do here, I never have taken the lid off of those storage boxes and got on with fulfilling that urge. Maybe one day! What I am sure is that I'm driven by a need to make things. Anything. Just as long as I'm creating I'm happy.


finished my hexie quilt! (Piecing the top at least)
This is the hexie quilt I made after finding a QAL on flickr. It's what started me off
blogging and quilting/patchworking again.

4. How does my writing/creative process work?

I'm often drawn and influenced to the wonderful array of fabrics out there. My other biggest influence has to be my cottage garden and the countryside around me. I work my colour process by what works in my garden and to be fair in a cottage garden everything works colour wise. Of course I'm also influenced by what I see going on in this online community.

Front Garden

I hope that's given you a little insight into my creative process. I'm now tagging three two blogging friends:

First up is Rachel who blogs at Mammafairy Sews I got to know her when we were both in the hipbee's round one. I was also fortunate enough to get to met her for real when we were both at the 2013 Fat Quarterly Retreat.

Secondly is Janet who blogs over here.  I have been following Janet's blog for some time and there is a lovely mix of  creative stuff and general life. I especially enjoy seeing a countryside and way of life that is so different to mine over in England.

Now I didn't hear back from the third person I'd hoped to tag and as I'm already late with this I'll just stick with the two.







6 comments:

  1. Your wafers look great! I bought the pattern but goodness knows when I'll get round to it! Hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude!! I do hope you're proper on the mend now. I'd forgotten all about that hexie quilt, too. Thanks for playing along!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. is that your garden? wow, wish mine looked like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're feeling a better now. I can't wait to see your wafers finished...no pressure ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smiling at the trendsetters comment...I thought it and you said it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well, if you were late posting, I was even later reading ;o) Wish I'd spotted that hexie quilt when I was there, it might have found a new home ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)