Thursday, 2 October 2014

Trying to find my mojo

I was going to stop blogging. I have stopped sewing. I'm not sure that I've stopped sewing for good. But I just don't have the time or inclination to sew right now. I figure most people are only interested in my creative endeavours so blogging seems a bit pointless.  I know some people blog as a personal record. I am addicted to making year books via Blurb. You download software to your computer and then upload your own photos and text. Then when you've got your book finished you upload it to blurb, pay according to size, paper, number of pages etc and a couple of weeks later you get a book arrive that is like a proper book from a bookshop. So I have no need to use my blog as a personal record. I've been pondering as to whether I should keep blogging. Have a blogging break; only blog when I have made something or maybe stop blogging altogether.

I <3 Blurb books!
A selection of my blurb year books.

I saw this interesting post that actually said writers are healthier than those who don't!

So while I ponder this issue further I'll tell you about last weekend.

Last weekend my Mum and I had tickets to go to the Malvern Autumn Show. I'd been to the spring show before but never the Autumn.  I try not to book stuff at weekends in case the one weekend I pick is the one weekend that month Chief gets free. It's even harder organising to see him right now as whilst he works out his notice he's working up north a lot. Sods law that having paid coach and show tickets he then announced he could get down that weekend. As there were spare seats on the coach we managed to get him a ticket. Although I was a bit nervous as to whether he'd like it. He'd already said he was giving up a day bird watching (he had plans if I went off the show and he had the day to himself.) As it turned out I think he enjoyed the show more than me. The show is vast. It seemed bigger and more crowded than the spring one I went to a few years ago. Also we didn't look at a map or a guide; just wandered aimlessly. I kept seeing all these people with plants they'd purchased.  We only found plant sellers half an hour before we had to go back to the coach. As a result the only thing I bought all day was some black charcoal cheese, which I'm saving for Christmas.  Chief on the other hand bought a shirt and some trousers. (The latter I ended up taking up whilst he went off to pick us up a takeaway!)

Malvern Autumn Show 2014
This whopper of a pumpkin was the largest at the show. It weighed
457kg!!!

Vintage Tea at The Malvern Autumn Show
They had a vintage area including a vintage tea shop!

The Maltern Autumn Show, 2014
Not surprisingly flowers were my favourite thing

The Maltern Autumn Show, 2014

Dahlias, Malvern Autumn Show 2014 

The Malvern Autumn Show 2014

The Malvern Autumn Show 2014
There was more veg than I've ever
seen displayed in one place.

Malvern Autumn Show 2014
There were so many animals too.
Chief pretty much stroked anything he went near.

Malvern Autumn Show 2014

I think we were all exhausted by the time we got back to the coach. The next day we woke up and despite being tired the sun was shining and it lured us out to Farmoor. Chief said we'd just walk along the causeway and then turn back. But at the end of the causeway the sun was so lovely we were tempted to walk back around the smallest reservoir. We'd not done this walk before.

I also added three new birds to my list for the year: A Kingfisher (too fast to get pics.), 

rock Pipit with a Pied Wagtail
A rock pipit (with a pied wagtail behind.)

Wheatear
A lone Wheatear

We headed for home around lunch time and decided to look for a pub to get some lunch. I saw a sign for 'The Perch' which I'd heard of but not visited before. We managed to bag a table in the garden, which was very busy and Chief went and ordered some food. I can't believe at the end of September I was sat in the garden like this: 


The Perch, Binsey Lane, Oxford
bare arms and tired eyes.

Soon it was time for us to get back home and Chief to get back to camp. He'd thought at that stage he was going to have go up North the same day. But luckily he had a reprieve. 

So that was my weekend. Not a stitch made other than in taking up his trousers. 

17 comments:

  1. Those eyes don't look tired - they look happy and contented to me. I hope you don't stop blogging and/or sewing - just take a break and one day you'll come back and we'll still be here...unless we're in a blogging break too ;-) Seriously I too have considered stopping as IG is quicker and you can get instant feedback and I don't want my blog to look abandoned but I still seem to be here so who knows. Woah on the pumpkin and now off to check Blurb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The show sounds lovely. As for blogging, how about not making a decision right now? Leave it and see if you feel like blogging again. If, in say six months, you haven't missed it then draw a line under it. We'll miss you but will be here if or when you come back...take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun and that pumpkin is ridiculous!! I would miss you but you should only do it if it's fun. It seems a lot less people are commenting on blogs but I love reading them. I agree with Helen and will be here mojo or not!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Lucy. I would miss you if you stop, but you must do what works best for you.
    I do not need you to sew or craft for me to read your blog!
    Do what is right for you- and if that is stop for a bit and then return, well, I shall hope to see you whenever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel on the blogging and sewing front. I just never have time anymore. I noticed that I was averaging 1 blog post a month: oh well- just remember there shouldn't be any pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I always say if you're not enjoying blogging then stop! There's too much we HAVE to do to make what should be our enjoyments a chore. But I would miss you and your photography. And I, too, enjoy non-textile posts like this one! I've never even heard of that third bird! *g*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think of you as a friend (somewhat silly but true) and I just like keeping up with friends no matter what they're up to! Having that said that, aren't all these things supposed to be for fun? And if they've stopped being fun maybe you do need a break. Big hug to you either way :-) Looks like a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all the previous comments. I really love reading your blog whatever the content.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos!! You look lovely and I love all the flowers and the bird spotting. As everyone has said, do what is right for you! I love seeing what you have been up to (sewing or non sewing ) as I see you as a friend. If it is a chore take a break, if it is fun keep it up. I love your blog too! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogging can be hard work but there's no point doing it if you don't enjoy it. Maybe you just need a break from it. I'm always happy to see what you've been up to, sewing or otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that pumpkin is INSANE! How the hell did the table not collapse?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We all go through stages of doing less than at other times, sometimes we are busy and other times we don't feel like it. have a break and come back when you feel like it. We'll all still be here for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep blogging about what you want to talk about if you enjoy blogging but not necessarily the sewing right now. Those dahlias are beautiful!

    I'm going to order some Blurb books soon of my wedding photos (with a few daft holiday pics mixed in) for my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Blurb books are a good idea! The Autumn show looks grand :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do miss those sorts of shows in the big city, but then I always found them fab for people watching, which possibly isn't the aim of them ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well as you just refers to the 'post before last' I am happy you are still here!!
    Just do what makes you happy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi there, I enjoy your blogs whether about sewing or birds or gardens. I also feel I have got to "know you a little" so would miss your blogs. The sewing mojo will hopefully return, sometimes in life it is hard to fit everything in, my garden has definitely suffered whilst I have been sewing and latterly baking more. take care x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)