Thursday, 6 November 2014

Seeing Red in the City

I had a couple of days off work and Chief and I went to London last Thursday to see the Poppies at the Tower of London. It's part of an art installation called Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Blood. They have been planting ceramic poppies in the moat of the tower of London since the summer. Each poppy represents a British or Commonwealth soldier that died in WW1. The installation remains until November 11th when the last poppy will be planted. Then the installation will be dismantled and those who bought a poppy (they all sold out and I'm kicking myself for not getting one when I had the opportunity.) will have them cleaned and posted off to them. To arrive by January.


Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red

Being half term week it was very busy. We opted to follow the advice given on the underground to not go to Tower Hill Tube Station as it was very busy. We got off the tube at Aldgate and had a five minute walk to us to the Tower. We could see most of the crowds were concentrating around the entrance to the Tower so we opted to get down on the lower level from the Tower Bridge Side. We managed to walk straight down (without the two hour wait I've heard there was to get on the lower level near the entrance.). It soon got very crowded so once Chief and I felt we had enough photos we left via another entrance/exit way.


Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red

Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red

Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red


Me at The Tower of London


I'd expected it to be more moving and thought I might even cry. But it was so busy and crowded that I was too busy watching where I was going and trying to get pictures, than really registering more than a wow about the installation.  I'm so glad I got to see it though.

From The Tower we walked into the City of London. The City, often referred to as the Square Mile is home to the financial district of London. London is split into districts/boroughs and the City of London is a distinct part of London.  We hadn't a plan. Once we'd seen the poppies we just wandered until it was lunch time. We visited places by accident to do with the Great Fire of London and the impressive architecture of Leadenhall Market drew us in; where we found a military band just setting up to entertain the crowds.


Leadenhall Market, London

Military Band Leadenhall Market


Even though I've spent my life living just 50 miles outside of London and have been countless time I am still an unashamed tourist loving the underground signs and old fashioned London Buses.

Underground Signage


Old London Bus

So I had a lovely, if a little exhausting, day in London. There was definitely lots of red everywhere I went.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day, even if it was busy at the Tower. We went to a wedding in Leadenhall market over the summer, it's a great venue ­čśŐ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love London. I wouldn't want to live in London but I love visiting, I love the busyness and diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to see that when I was in London a couple of weeks ago, but it just wasn't an option unfortunately :o( Still, I shall enjoy seeing everyone's photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is something I wanted to see, but my son saw and I saw vicariously through blogs like your own, but I would have loved to have seen it. Would have cried though

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)