Saturday, 10 January 2015

Week 1: Ten Things

As promised here is my first (of what I hope will be many) weekly posts of 10 things that have gone on in my world this week.

1. Read: Moon Island by Rosie Thomas. This was a recommendation from a bookcrossing friend. I didn't hesitate as the last Rosie Thomas book I read: The Kashmir Shawl; I really enjoyed. I haven't quite finished it as it's my read-in-the-bath book at the moment.

2. Made: I finished Chiefs 'Birds of a Feather' Quilt which is one of his Christmas presents. I can't get better pictures because I want him to see it before the rest of the world and right now the weather is not suitable for quilt pictures anyway.

Birds of a Feather 
Chiefs Quilt. I can show you this much as he's seen this!


It's always satisfying to get a WIP finished.  This cushion deserves a blog post of it's own. I can't resist showing you a picture now though. It's based on the wafers EPP templates by Nellies Niceties.

Wafers Cushion finished!


I also made one of these drawstring bags by following the excellent tutorial on this blog. I see many more of these in my future. I think they'd make lovely presents if filled with a few treats.  This one is destined to hold my DSLR when I only want to take a handbag and a small lens on the camera and therefore don't want a full on camera bag.  As a result I used some thin fusible fleece to line the main body part and it's made it nice and cushioned whilst not making it bulky.

Draw-string bag


3. Watched: I loved Esio Trot starring Dustin Hoffman and Dame Judy Dench. How did I not know this Roald Dahl story already? I thought I'd read most of his books and I'd even read Crockywock the Crocodile to him in a school assembly when he came to open my primary school!

4. Worn: Clothes! Yes, I bet you're all relieved about that. Seeing as I haven't taken any pictures or really thought this item through on my ten things list, I'll leave it at that and promise to try and do better next time.

5. Eaten: I am still working my way through chocolates I had for Christmas. I think I may be eating them until June. Not these. I've eaten all of these already!

Don't mind if I do

6. Seen/visited: Some weeks I'll probably have loads to tell you in this section (I hope).  With this horrible weather I'm in hibernation mode unless it's essential.

7. Recommended: Sophie Court Designs  Last year my Mum bought me a robin necklace by Sophie and this year we  both fell in love with the reversible stags head necklace and luckily Mum managed to buy the last one at the Christmas Craft fair at Waterperry Gardens to give me for Christmas.

My stags head Christmas present

I follow Sophie Court Designs on Facebook and there was a sale. I had to buy this birdie necklace. It's reversible so you get double value from this jewellery; which is made from paper and acrylic.  It's also nice to support local to me artists.

Purple Side of my new necklacePretty birdie

8. Stash: I want to keep a check on in coming and out going fabric this year and do as much 'stash' shopping as I can. I have had some lovely fabric arrive of late, but I'm not counting it as it was bought or won in 2014. The plan is if I can save my pennies I will be able to pay for a bed sized quilt to be professionally quilted. It's long been an ambition of mine. Of course I have to make the quilt too!

So, fabric in: 0 Fabric; Out: 1.5 yards (plus some left over scraps of batting and sheeting.)

9. Birds: Chiefs year list is already over 50 and he's mainly been bird watching via his car as he's not well enough to be out for long or walk too far. My list is at 17. Not so shabby given that's pretty much only the birds I can identify through my front window.

10. And finally This has been a week of ups and downs. I had a horrible stressy start to the week and lets just say stuff happening on Friday made everything better. I won something in the Finish-A-Long. Amazing. I'd forgotten I'd actually made something and it was only one thing on a very long list of WIP's I'd listed out!

9 comments:

  1. Nice to hear what you've been up to, and looking forward to more of these posts x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update! Congrats on the finishes and YAY for Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fun way of setting out a post. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also made my first drawstring bag recently (it was a last-minute 'really disappointed by the packaging of a kit so I need to make something to make it look more like a present and less like something from the back of the cupboard' make) and, like you, I think I'll be making more of them! I really like this format for your blog post, hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post lady - you've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a busy week! In the nicest possible way, I think you might have been a bit old for Esio Trot, it was only published in 1990, and it was very much marketed as a book for young kids then, as it didn't have any of his more, err, scary elements in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the listings; yup, Esio Trot was fab xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missed Esio Trot, did lots of reading, bought lots of fabric, (must record it) and tried not to eat too many chocolates, no point in my paying Slimming World and eating chocolates, (I'm not winning). I can't say I have spent much time in a car with a pair of binoculars though! Did for go for a walk though and saw seals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really love this new blog post format :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)