Sunday, 8 February 2015

Birds of a Feather Quilt

Finally I can reveal some pictures of the quilt I made Chief for Christmas.


Birds of a Feather Quilt
Lesser Spotted Chief holding his quilt

I hadn't even attempted to get pictures previously due to the awful winter light and nobody to hold the quilt for me. I told Chief I'd need to get pictures before he left with it and the weather was kind to us. The concept of a photo shoot for a quilt perplexed Chief rather and when we took it out to the garden he first held it folded in two. I asked him to turn it round so I could take pictures of the other side of the fold. He obliged but missed the point about me wanting a picture of the whole quilt. In the end he did hold it out as in the top picture, but the wind caught it and I knew he'd not faff about for long. His major concern was it not touching any part of the wet ground. Despite me telling him it was ok to wash it. 

Birds of a Feather Quilt

Birds of a Feather Quilt

Anyway, some quilt details. I followed these dimensions for the St Louis 16 patch.  It's the second quilt I've made following this pattern. Although this one is twice the size as the first, as Chief specified he'd like a quilt that would cover him head to toe, as he thought he'd use it in a camper van should he ever realise his dream of getting one. 

All the fabric is from stash - sort of. I deliberately picked bird themed fabrics. I had quite a few of these in my stash but when Chief requested a larger quilt it was clear I'd have to use the birdie fabrics I'd  just bought to replace some of the fabrics I've used in this quilt. In most cases I had a nice section left over after cutting, which I've put to one side to use in a scrappy trip I'd like to make. I felt a lot better about using some of my hoarded stash knowing I'd have a little bit of fabric to put in a big quilt for me. 

This quilt was actually a great stash buster. Each block uses a fat quarters worth of fabric so with with 24 blocks I busted 24 fat quarters. I used 3/4 yard of Kona peacock to bind it. I picked Kona Peacock because it was a colour named after a bird. After buying some lovely birdie fabric for the back I'd no where near enough and it was going to be ridiculously expensive to buy enough. Instead I used an old flat sheet that had been my brothers. Chief likes blue and there was a lot of blue on the front so it worked a treat. 

I can't tell you exactly how big this worked out as I didn't measure it. I quilted it diagonally through each block in both directions using a pale grey aurifil. 

Chief loves his quilt although now he isn't sure he wants to leave it in Gertie - his new camper van, as he's worried someone will steal it away! 

Thanks for all the suggestions about what quilt I should make for camper van adventures. I'm leaning towards tumblers at the moment. Apologies for not answering comments on the last post yet. Chief actually made it down for the weekend and only went back at lunch time. I'm sold on Gertie too. But that's a whole other blog post!


10 comments:

  1. Oh I envy you your patience! I have only done a tiny amount of quilting and would never attempt a piece that large and it is so lovely, well done. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amei conhecer o seu blog, já fiquei por aqui!!!Achei maravilhoso!!!
    Visite-me:http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/
    Siga-me e pegue o meu selinho!!!

    Obrigada.

    Beijos Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that you managed tote together at last, I hope you had a wonderful belated Christmas together. The quilt is just amazing, he must be so impressed with all of the bird fabric and hard work you put into making it, particularly if he does't want to leave it in Gertie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gosh that was a long wait for him to pay a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so fresh and lovely! I hear you on the no faffing around - mine's exactly the same ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you finally got your Christmas and birthday! And did you see my gran's quilt being held up? Honestly, the staff these days are crap ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. funny how he can stand for hours and hours watching birds, but 5 minutes holding a quilt ...... my husband is the same with football. love the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a wonderful quilt - hope it stays nice and safe in Gertie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The caption of your first photo, "Lesser Spotted Chief" and your retelling of explaining the concept of a photo shoot to him are hysterical!! Love your quilt and the fabrics you chose for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)