Friday, 13 March 2015

10 Things: Week 10

1. Read: I finally finished Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry. I didn't enjoy it as much as A Fine Balance but it was still worth reading. I also finished Wreckage by Emily Bleeker, which I found an easy read with a few twists and turns I didn't expect. So I have new books for the Kindle and the bath. I have started reading: Stardust by Neil Gaiman on my Kindle. I saw the film at Christmas and found it quite enchanting so thought it would be a good one to read when I saw it on a kindle deal. For the bath I'm reading Oxford Letters by Veronica Stallwood. I had read Oxford Exit before and had been saving this one until I could get some of the novels in between. I'm not sure it's crucial to read them in order but I usually find that there are reoccurring back stories that progress through a series of books. However, next month I'm off to the Bookcrossing World Convention in Oxford and I could do with some Oxford books to take with me so it made sense to get on with reading it.

2. Made: Jude shared this lovely tutorial for a little fabric basket, perfect for stuffing with chocolates. I decided to make one for my partner in the Spring Time Surprises Swap. I think these would make great Easter gifts and will probably be making more shortly!

Today 

3. Watched: Poldark on Sunday. I do like a good period drama and have very vague recollections of this show when they did a version in the 1970's. I was relieved that unlike last years BBC dramatisation of Jamaica Inn - you could actually hear what the actors were saying.

4. Worn: I have been venturing outside without a coat. I still need a thermal top on at work though so I'm not banishing the winter clothes just yet.


Me the other side of the spinney



5. Eaten As my brothers family had a fair bit of illness around Mum's birthday we didn't get to go out for a family meal as planned. Last Sunday we were invited down for lunch at theirs to have a belated celebration and my niece made dessert! It's a flour less torte with ground almonds being used in place of the flour. It was yummy!


Lunch at Derek and Claire's

6. Visted/Seen: Reindeer in the Oxfordshire countryside. Who'd have thought it?  I took this picture when I came out of The Crazy Bear Farm Shop. They have all kinds of animals in their fields. But I LOVE to see the Reindeer the best.


Reindeer

7. Recommended I bought myself a Japanese Razor Hoe because it'll be just the job for weeding around plants and readying my raised beds. I've already decided I want a cuttings patch and planted Sweet Williams in the Autumn. Whilst I love the idea of veg growing I tend to grow veg and not eat the majority of it. Twice I've grown beetroots and then they've spoiled whilst I procrastinated about what to do with them.  I'm going to limit the veg and concentrate on flowers so I can get back into a bit of flower arranging.

Japanese Razor Hoe 

8. Stash  In: 2 yards (and a Liberty Scrap Pack) Out: fat 8th!  Ok so a lot more in than out. Hopefully when I can get back to sewing I can remedy that.

9. Birds Again nothing new to report. I need to get out with Chief who's own list is way over 100 for the year now!

10. And Finally I've a very busy week next week. Including time away with Chief. Lots to look forward to and hopefully lots to come back and blog about.

4 comments:

  1. love veronica stallwood, first read them ten years ago when my sons went to oxford, to give me a flavour. The only fault is she doesn't write enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps hit a bird or rather a bird hit my car on Wednesday, a real loud thud. It flew off, surprisingly, but whether it survived or not I don't know. I was large brown and speckly. Too big for a and bright brown for a female pheasant. Hope it wasn't a pheasant as that would make 3 dead/injured pheasants I had seen in a week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started A Fine Balance this week and am really liking it, it is certainly a good thick book so should keep me happy for a while. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the Bookcrossing conference is interesting. Great picture of you in your thermal top and camera strap. :) And lucky you seeing the reindeer. I haven't seen any caribou this winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)