Tuesday, 24 March 2015

10 Things: Week 11

Rather late this time due to spending the past four days being unwell.  I'm still feeling pretty washed out. At least I'm back on solid food and keeping it down!

1. Read: I finished the Veronica Stallwood and it's reminded me how much I enjoyed the previous novel I read of hers. I really need to get more found. I think I'll keep an eye out of in charity shops when I go vintage sheet hunting. I then started on the latest book group choice: Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones. I'd managed to get a second hand copy from Amazon. I was in denial about reading this book because I'd had a copy previously and passed it on because I decided I was never going to read this. When it was chosen at book group I did a little inward sigh and didn't relish the cost of buying it again - even for Kindle. As it was the book was OK. I read it in a couple of long leisurely baths. I'll be interested to hear what the group make of it as there was some pretty unpleasant violence in it. (Mind is violence ever pleasant?!) The story is about a civil war on a little island in the pacific and when most of the people leave the island (or go and fight for the rebels.) it leaves groups in villages left to fend for themselves. In  young Matilda's village (and the story is told from her view point.) the only white man on the island becomes teacher to the children and decides to read them Great Expectations with both positive and devastating consequences. Now I'm reading Touching the Void by Joe Simpson. More about that next week.

2. Made: No making to speak of this week.  I really need to get on with Amsterdam Quilt.  I also need to stop buying fabric to replace fabric I've only thought about using in projects. I am seriously considering a destash because my fabric drawers are crammed full and I can't get the lid on my scrap boxes - yes the scraps are multiplying like Tribbles.

3. Watched: Second episode of Poldark watched and I'm already only watching in the hope that Captain Poldark will take his kit off again and go for another swim. Otherwise I'm losing interest already. (I have to say I haven't watched episode 3!)

4. Worn: Well it wasn't the lovely clothes I packed for a night away in a suite with Chief on Wednesday night because after he had breakfast on Wednesday, Chief started being sick. He was sick all over Otmoor (literally!) and then crashed at the hotel in bed, in a dark room. Thankfully we had booked a suite because I could at least watch TV in the living room and order room service without disturbing him.  Although using the pool and spa facilities wasn't much fun on my own.

5. Eaten: Room service feels very decadent. It certainly doesn't come cheap. But when I told Chief I'd go down to get some food in the bar to spare him the smell of food in our room, he said I should come back and check on him before I go down to the pool. I then got really worried. When a man like Chief thinks he may need checking on you know that he really is feeling bad and the bravado he's trying to put on may just be covering something more serious. I decided to order a salad and sit in the suite and eat so I didn't leave him for too long. It was called a Vespa salad and it was delicious.


Vespa Salad lunch

Later in the evening Chief thought he could manage a spot of scrambled egg. (The hotel were great and had assured him if he felt like food they'd whip him up something plain of his own choosing.) I opted for the hand pressed burger and chips. I got some fruit for Chief just in case he fancied it later and he did!


Burger for room service dinner 


6. Visited/Seen: I visited the dentist this week to have a filling replaced. It was the tooth that caused me a lot of drama a few years ago. Resulting being on antibiotics for months and the need for surgery.  Now with no nerve left the replacement was easy as no pain! No injection required.  


7. Recommended: Splurge on a suite if you ever get the chance. They aren't always as expensive as you might think and to have our own separate sitting room and all the extras were really lovely. However, I don't advise you get ill when you book it on a no cancellation deal. Although I have to say having two toilets was pretty useful under the circumstances.


St Anne's Suite - The Belfry
View of sitting room - can't see the dinning table or sofa properly.
Bigger than my sitting room at home!

St Anne's Suite - The Belfry
Bedroom - lovely comfy bed

St Anne's Suite - The Belfry
Bathroom - shower was wet room style and just out of shot
around the corner. The bath was a spa bath.

The view from St Anne's Suite - The Belfry
View from the suite.

8. Stash: I confess I've completely lost track of fabric this week. I'll get back on track for next time.

9. Birds: Thanks to a trip to Otmoor I got 16 new birds added onto my year list.  One new addition I even managed to photograph - Redshank - I think you can probably work out it gets its name from the colour of its legs.


Red shank 
Redshank

My favourite pic of the day was of the robin. It posed quite happily for us. It wasn't a great day for pictures as it was rather murky and misty. 

Robin

10. And finally: Friday when my own bout of sickness kicked off (kindly passed on by Chief.) I did have one ray of sunshine. My Spring Time Surprise Swap package arrived. I can't find my partner on social media so I hope she sees this or the pics on IG to see how much I liked the package she put together for me. I am looking forward to growing those dwarf sunflowers in my new cuttings patch.


First day of spring
Thank you!!!


5 comments:

  1. You poor things, being ill in never great. On the plus side a suite does sound wonderful and I love the look of the food, food being one of my favourite things in life. I have just read The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths, which is the first in her series about Dr Ruth Galloway, a forensic archaeologist. I am actually going with some friends to hear her speak tonight. If you like crime I would highly recommend her. I did read Mr. Pip once and found it reasonably enjoyable apart from the violence. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Chief doesn't have much luck with holidays, does he? Sounds like he was proper poorly!

    I am seriously thinking about buying a Bigshot to cut my scraps into little squares for a scrap vomit quilt. I could call it Tribbles! Heh heh. That's a fabulous shot of the Robin. Frameable for sure!! I love them to bits, such a distinctive wee guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *stamps feet* 'Snot fair! I can't believe Chief was so poorly while you were away - I hope you're both completely better soon and that the next holiday doesn't involve anything medical!

    Love the photo of the robin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love a suite in a hotel, and like yourself it has proved useful when one of us has been unwell as unfortunately happens from time to time

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m sorry that Chief was sick during your weekend away and that you became sick soon after! Not fun!! Your hotel room looked spacious and comfortable. The vespa salad looked healthy as well as tasty! I'm also in love with the robin.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)