Friday, 22 May 2015

10 Things: Week 20

Thank you to everyone that took the trouble to comment on my blogging dilemma. It seems that most people like posts with more than just the sewing element and it was lovely to hear that so many of you look forward to the photographs!

1. Read:  I have finished: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins on my kindle. It was an interesting thriller that had me turning the electronic pages. I've also read: The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood, which was a disturbing story set in future America where the constitution has broken down and various religious sects rule and fight one another. The story is told from a Handmaids point of view. Women's role in society has gone back to prehistoric times. They have no rights or choices. I would have liked a slightly different ending and found the book very similar in tone to George Orwells: 1984. I have also read the next book group choice - it only took me a few hours as it was only a novella: The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett. I found it mildly amusing, but not the 'Hilariously Funny' Amazon branded it.

2. Made: The Amsterdam Quilt has been finished - frustratingly not photographed. I'm hoping I'll get the chance, the right weather and any assistance I may need over the long weekend.

3. Watched: Things have been a bit hectic this week with little tv viewing done. I was disappointed to discover Atlantis was axed and there will not be a series 3. Something they didn't realise until part way through airing of series 2, so the ending is hinting at bigger and darker things to come. Only they won't.

4. My Garden/Flowers: I continue to find new things every day. Including weeds. I need to get out over the long weekend and get some of those dug up. I also have a tonne of seeds to direct sew.

My Garden

My Garden in May 

5. Eaten:  Nothing of note. In fact it's been a very lazy, convenience food orientated sort of week.

6. Visited/Seen: This afternoon to start off the long weekend I decided to go for a stroll with my camera. I took a 'big lens' hoping to take pics of birds. In reality I should have taken my small lens to get more landscape type shots.


Cow parsley drift on the field edge
Loving the cow parsley drifts on the field margins and verges.

Pheasant
male pheasant looking very spiffy

Parking
This amused me. The farmers son lives in the house across the road 
from the tractor. Talk about taking your company vehicle home!

7. Recommended: Orla Kiely has put some of her designs on three limited edition coffee jars. This is the brand of coffee my Mum and brother drink so when I found two different designs in my local Asda I had to grab a couple (just missing the yellow). It's a cheap way to get a bit of Orla design in your home. As for the coffee...I don't even drink it.


My local asda has two out of three designs. They seem to have been sent double amount of green so have no yellow


8. Stash: In: 0 Out: 3/4 metre (binding for Amsterdam Quilt.) Technically I did have fabric come this week in the form of those lovely winnings from Lucy (see my last post.) I have no idea how much was there (Lots) and as I didn't buy it I won't include it. (see the lengths I'll go to to make my fabric addiction seem not so bad?!)

9. Birds: Only one new one to add to my list this week. A sparrow hawk flew over my house. I often see one about, although this was the first time I'd noticed it this year.

10. And finally...Chief and I had got ourselves excited about the possibility of a foreign holiday together in just over a weeks time. But it didn't work out (I'd even got my Euros!). It's postponed not cancelled. In the mean time I may get more time to sew!?

8 comments:

  1. I missed the entire last half of Atlantis series 2!! But I did know it wasn't being renewed. I wondered if it had been too late for a satisfying ending. I love those Orla jars!!! And your garden is looking lovely - my aquilegia (sp?) is nowhere near flowering!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed the entire last half of Atlantis series 2!! But I did know it wasn't being renewed. I wondered if it had been too late for a satisfying ending. I love those Orla jars!!! And your garden is looking lovely - my aquilegia (sp?) is nowhere near flowering!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely photos, your garden looks very pretty. Sorry that your trip has been postponed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear that 'The Girl on the Train' is worth reading. Seeing your book recommendations is one of my favourite things about your blog (apart from the quilts of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. have bought the girl on the train, hated the handmaidens tale and loved the uncommon reader.
    will be looking for the orla kiely coffee, will drink it artistically whilst wearing my orla kiely scarf whilst lying in my orla kiely bed linen.
    I missed your earlier blog post but I love your photos. I am off to look for your earlier posting

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG those coffee jars take me back to the 70's when DE did that in the Netherlands (where I live)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is so colorful and beautiful! Loved your photos of the pheasant and the tractor parked on the road. Congratulations on completely finishing the Amsterdam quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)