Monday, 25 May 2015

Amsterdam Quilt or Tulips for Gertie

All week the weather has conspired against me getting photos of my finished Amsterdam Quilt. It's either been showery (meaning it's either raining when I could take the pics or it's stopped raining and everywhere is too wet and grubby to go hanging my quilt.) or it's been so windy the chances of getting a decent picture have been remote. In the mean time I've had a ear-worm of 'Tulips from Amsterdam'  fairground-organ-style playing in my head.


Finished Amsterdam Quilt

The pattern is a free one from the Cloud9 Fabrics website.  The tulip blocks come together quite quickly although I did find it frustrating that the bottom half of the block came out a different size to the top meaning a serious amount of trimming. But that may just have been me. I confess I did write down the piece sizes in a note book, so I didn't have to keep running to the computer to remind myself of the right sizes for cutting. 

I made a lot more blocks than in the pattern as I wanted a bigger quilt. The plan is to use this in 'Gertie' Chiefs camper van.  When I made Chief a quilt for the same purpose he requested a quilt long enough to cover both his head and toes so that when it's really cold he can snuggle right under it. I thought it sounded sensible and that I'd do the same - even though I'm not sure I'm planning on overnighters in the cold! 

To help increase the over all size I sashed between the blocks and around them. The quilt is also made pretty much entirely from stash. I only bought a couple of red fat quarters as I can't think of tulips without thinking of the red ones and since I made the 'Christmas red and white quilt' a while back my stash has had next to no red left in it. Not even enough to make a couple of tulips. 

Finished Amsterdam Quilt
You can't see the backing. It's a dusky blue coloured fabric I bought on sale years ago with the intention of backing another quilt with it. Only that quilt never got finished and out grew the size of the fabric I'd bought for backing.  I made a scrappy binding in colours that looked good with the back and the front of the quilt. There are a couple of wonky bits in the binding and I'll admit there are a couple of small puckers on the back. However, this a utility, not a show quilt and it's so pretty (I think) that I can over look the imperfections.

Finished Amsterdam Quilt


12 comments:

  1. its really lovely jan, and it was worth getting some red in as they complete the mix dont they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works! and the peonies in the background are rather good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tulips and certainly love these

    ReplyDelete
  4. Och, it's just so pretty, Jan! Perfect for having in Gertie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice, I really do want to do one of these. I think the sashing helps the tulips to stand out, and if your puckers and tucks are all on your back, don't complain (har har). Funny the ear worm song from Amsterdam I think of is the one of the little mice on the stair in their clogs

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really pretty and the red tulips make it, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Amsterdam quilt is really wonderful! Your fabric choices work so well in this quilt, including the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cheerful tulips, a wonderful summery finish! And what a good idea to make it bigger. I also struggled a bit with the different sizes of the top half of the tulips and the bottom and thought to change it so that wouldn't be the case. In the end I made mine according to the pattern after all because it would have involved more (though different) trimming in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such happy quilt. I will watch out for the sizing being different in top and bottom when I finally get around to making some of these tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really pretty. Love how this one has turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fabulous Jan, I love the colours

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)