2. Made: I don't think I mentioned last time I finished another Blurb year book. This time 2006. I would struggle to go back any further as I got my first digital camera in September 2005. It's ironic that I switched to digital in the hope to save money and effort on processing a lot film and then storing the pictures. I thought I'd take far less with digital as there would be no need for a back up shot in case one was blurry etc. However, as the years have gone on I find myself taking more digital images not less. With an imminent foreign trip on the cards - The first since the 1990's - I dug out the photos from that previous trip and wow my photography skills, equipment and processing were shameful back then. Whilst I hope to do a dedicated blurb book for my up coming trip. I won't be scanning these old pics in and doing one!
And...I have started playing with fabric again. I have wanted to make an X&+ quilt for ages. I have made the odd block for things like mug rugs and in bee's. In fact I almost picked it as my block in a bee I was in. Only someone got there first and whilst a few others said they'd be happy to make more of the same blocks, I thought I'd go for something different. Until now the quilt has only been a dream. Then on Wednesday I got my scraps out and started cutting. I've got about 14 blocks cut ready to sew. I have 20 wonder clips so am aiming to use all the wonderclips to hold the block pieces together before I start sewing. I wasn't dithering over fabric. It still has taken hours to get all the cutting done. I'm not sure how many I'd need for a bed sized quilt. I'm already thinking this might be the project to get professionally quilted and therefore bed sized. We'll see how I go! I can't imagine it being a quick project! It has really helped that I won that huge pile of scraps from Lucy a few weeks ago. Many have been cut up already to add to my own. Everyone always knows other peoples scraps are better than our own right?
4. My garden/Flowers: New things coming out all the while. I haven't taken any garden photos to speak of this week though. It's showing every sign that this will be an excellent year for roses.
5. Eaten: Strawberries. It's pretty bad when my niece took a picture of me it even shows I have strawberry juice on my front tooth. So there is no way I was going to get away with pretending I was good and didn't sample any at the pick-your-own!
6. Visited/Seen: As you probably gathered from above there was a trip to the local pick your own this week. The season was delayed due to the cold weather. Then when the sun did come out there was such a frenzy of picking that weekend that they had no more for a few days while they waited for the next few to come on. Then last Thurs we'd planned to take my niece over and I was ill and we had to postpone. Probably as well as we did have to hunt a bit to get some fully ripe ones. They are also a lot smaller this year than they often are. Just as sweet and juicy though.
7. Recommended: In light of 5 & 6 above it has to be Pick Your Owns! Our local one has a lovely farm shop attached where you can get lots more produce and even strawberries if you can't be bothered to go and pick. They sell flowers and preserves and all sorts too. They also have a cafe. So of course post pick we went for a drink and some cake! If you have kids these places totally cater for the family day out. Ours even has a bouncy castle to entertain the little ones.
8. Stash: In: 0 Out: A tonne of scraps. The x&+ blocks maybe smaller than the standard 12.5" blocks but they eat into a fair bit of fabric. So I'm really busting through my scraps. I'm not ruling out delving into stash proper for a spot of fussy cutting or to get the other block elements. And I won another great prize which involves fabric. But more on that in another post.
9. Birds: I am totally absorbed in watching the woodpecker family. If I find myself awake at 5am in the morning I get out of bed to check the activity at the bird feeder! I mean really I could have talked about the woodpeckers in the watched, my garden, visited/seen and recommended sections above because I'm so woodpecker centric right now!