Friday, 19 June 2015

10 Things: Week 24

1. Read: The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith was my kindle read. I'd read Cuckoo's Calling last year and found it a bit more of a struggle than I was expecting. It's exactly my kind of read, but it did seem to go on and I think it took about a month to read. Not so the second in the series by J K Rowling writing under the name of Robert Galbraith.  I was soon drawn in and finished it in a few days. My bath time read was sent to me by a book crosser: Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult. I'm enjoying it but not getting enough baths in to make much headway with it. I have managed to finish another book on the kindle though. Three Inquisitive People. One of the Duke du Richelieu novels by Dennis Wheatley. I started off with The Devil Rides out last year (I'd seen the hammer film and Chief had told me as a teenager the book had given him nightmares.) and enjoyed it so went on to read the book that came after that: The Golden Spaniard. I then discovered there was a whole series and I was starting off part way through. So I downloaded one of the earlier novels and it is a whodunit that brings together four of the characters that are to become friends and go on adventures in subsequent novels: Simon Aron, Rex Van Ryn, Richard Eaton and of course Duke Du R. It is of course very dated. I think these were first written in the 1930's. I love the atmosphere created and how the main upper-crust characters are totally preoccupied with the right hotels and restaurants to eat in and how they can stretch a lunch out for about 5 hours and describe all the 'right' wines to accompany the dishes and the right cigars and cigarettes to have with them!

2. Made:  I don't think I mentioned last time I finished another Blurb year book. This time 2006. I would struggle to go back any further as I got my first digital camera in September 2005. It's ironic that I switched to digital in the hope to save money and effort on processing a lot film and then storing the pictures. I thought I'd take far less with digital as there would be no need for a back up shot in case one was blurry etc. However, as the years have gone on I find myself taking more digital images not less. With an imminent foreign trip on the cards -  The first since the 1990's - I dug out the photos from that previous trip and wow my photography skills, equipment and processing were shameful back then. Whilst I hope to do a dedicated blurb book for my up coming trip. I won't be scanning these old pics in and doing one!

And...I have started playing with fabric again. I have wanted to make an X&+ quilt for ages. I have made the odd block for things like mug rugs and in bee's. In fact I almost picked it as my block in a bee I was in. Only someone got there first and whilst a few others said they'd be happy to make more of the same blocks, I thought I'd go for something different. Until now the quilt has only been a dream. Then on Wednesday I got my scraps out and started cutting. I've got about 14 blocks cut ready to sew. I have 20 wonder clips so am aiming to use all the wonderclips to hold the block pieces together before I start sewing. I wasn't dithering over fabric. It still has taken hours to get all the cutting done. I'm not sure how many I'd need for a bed sized quilt. I'm already thinking this might be the project to get professionally quilted and therefore bed sized. We'll see how I go! I can't imagine it being a quick project! It has really helped that I won that huge pile of scraps from Lucy a few weeks ago. Many have been cut up already to add to my own. Everyone always knows other peoples scraps are better than our own right?


X&+ Blocks

3. Watched: I know I watched something since last time that I thought I'd share with you all. Only it's gone clean out of my head. I bet I'll remember what it is the moment I hit the 'publish' button. Hmmm... I remember now! It's Humans the new sci-fi drama on Channel 4. Shades of "I Robot" and I'm intrigued as to where this is going to go.

4. My garden/Flowers: New things coming out all the while. I haven't taken any garden photos to speak of this week though. It's showing every sign that this will be an excellent year for roses.

5. Eaten: Strawberries. It's pretty bad  when my niece took a picture of me it even shows I have strawberry juice on my front tooth. So there is no way I was going to get away with pretending I was good and didn't sample any at the pick-your-own!



Rectory Farm PYO

Rectory Farm PYO 

Rectory Farm PYO

6. Visited/Seen: As you probably gathered from above there was a trip to the local pick your own this week. The season was delayed due to the cold weather. Then when the sun did come out there was such a frenzy of picking that weekend that they had no more for a few days while they waited for the next few to come on. Then last Thurs we'd planned to take my niece over and I was ill and we had to postpone. Probably as well as we did have to hunt a bit to get some fully ripe ones. They are also a lot smaller this year than they often are. Just as sweet and juicy though. 

7. Recommended: In light of 5 & 6 above it has to be Pick Your Owns! Our local one has a lovely farm shop attached where you can get lots more produce and even strawberries if you can't be bothered to go and pick. They sell flowers and preserves and all sorts too. They also have a cafe. So of course post pick we went for a drink and some cake! If you have kids these places totally cater for the family day out. Ours even has a bouncy castle to entertain the little ones.

8. Stash: In: 0 Out: A tonne of scraps. The x&+ blocks maybe smaller than the standard 12.5" blocks but they eat into a fair bit of fabric. So I'm really busting through my scraps. I'm not ruling out delving into stash proper for a spot of fussy cutting or to get the other block elements. And I won another great prize which involves fabric. But more on that in another post.

9. Birds: I am totally absorbed in watching the woodpecker family. If I find myself awake at 5am in the morning I get out of bed to check the activity at the bird feeder! I mean really I could have talked about the woodpeckers in the watched, my garden, visited/seen and recommended sections above because I'm so woodpecker centric right now!



Great Spotted Woodpecker

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Great Spotted Woodpecker 

Great Spotted Woodpecker

10. And finally: It's feeling so good to find my love of playing with fabric again. I may actually get some posts done that are about sewing type things not just these 10 things posts!

7 comments:

  1. I love x and + blocks, they are so worth the effort. I meant to watch Humans, too. I'll need to try and find it on catch up if you think it's worth a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love x and + blocks, they are so worth the effort. I meant to watch Humans, too. I'll need to try and find it on catch up if you think it's worth a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the amazing fabric prize that you won - so excited for you :-) And I agree that other peoples scraps are always better - I loved the scraps that I won from you and made a hexie cushion from them as a present for a friend. The Silkworm is on my e-reader ready to read now that I am on holidays - glad you enjoyed it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing the x/+ blocks - hope you're enjoying making them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see your blocks made up. It is so true that other people have better scraps, I won some this year too and made dresdens that still need to be stitched up into cushions. Congrats on your new win too. We are still waiting for the pick your own to open here, then it will be my annual strawberry jam making day. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo I'm enjoying Humans too. Fab bird photos xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found The Cuckoo's Calling to be more memorable than the Silkworm- I've forgotten the story already! I like the Robert Galbraith books a lot though, I believe there's another one later in the year...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)