Saturday, 5 September 2015

So what have I been sewing?

You could be forgiven for thinking that my summer has either been spent gadding about or reading. And to be fair, a lot of it has. However, I've also managed some sewing too. Not nearly as much as I'd have liked; although enough to show my mojo has not gone away entirely. Curiously though (apart from buying some destash fabrics from Kerry last night). I have not been remotely interested in buying fabric for months. Of course I've looked (and noticed the slight increase in fabric prices since I last had a splurge.) only nothing has tempted me enough to hit the purchase button. I'm so conscious I need to use what I have and to that mind I'm hoping that quite a few Christmas presents this year will be hand made.

First up I made the large size of the open wide pouch by Noodlehead. I'd wanted a new wash bag that was flexible enough to fit into overnight bags without taking up loads of space. However, the large one turned out to be huge, so I might use it to keep my make up in. (At the moment it's housing some complimentary biscuits packets and other travel size foody items ready to decant into Gertie should we ever go away.)

The fabric choices were dictated by the nylon ripstop fabric I had already in my stash which I used for the lining. It was the same dark green as the green in the hare/rabbit fabric.   I decided to use that fabric along with some Essex Linen in a more neutral fabric to match the zip and co-ordinate with my other fabric. I thought by using the ripstop fabric I'd make the bag at least wipe proof, if not fully waterproof. It wasn't nearly as hard to sew with in this project as I'd feared.

New wash bag for travels or maybe to hold my make up stash when home. It's the large size #openwidepouch and I used nylon ripstop fabric to make it easier to keep clean inside. #noodlehead

Next up I made a brush roll for my cosmetic brushes. I bought the purple set of real techniques brushes from Ebay last year after I'd used my nieces on holiday. I didn't much like the black case they'd come in and after having my niece do my makeup this year on holiday I decided to buy some of the orange brushes from Amazon and make my own brush roll. I made the design up as I went along and apart from needing some fabric tape to tie the roll up I used everything else from my stash and am so pleased with how it turned out. It took parts of 3 fat quarters and a little left over wadding from quilt making. I'm thinking I should make my niece one for her brushes and put it in with her Christmas presents. When it gets grubby I can just put it in the wash.

Finally made the brush roll


Brush roll exterior #madebyme

Next up I made the smallest open wide pouch style to keep personal stuff in my desk drawer. Being the only female in a male environment I am often only reminded I'm female if something negative happens. Even the most enlightened of colleagues/bosses can have their sexist or inconsiderate moments. Anyway because I'm not in a mixed or female office environment I have to say I mainly forget to be girly. I think women often make the effort around other women not for men's benefit. Where as a woman might notice if I've not bothered to put make up on, you're average man rarely will, or certainly won't comment on it if he does. I've decided I need to value myself a bit more and that's about little things like using the lovely perfume I have (not forgetting until it goes rancid and I throw it out.), bothering with hand cream and body lotion.  I thought I'd keep a few essentials in my desk drawer, so when I'm feeling a bit jaded and down and certainly not female, I can have a little pick me up.

Even the small size is deceptively roomy and I haven't ruled out switching this out for a smaller style of pouch and using this for chargers when I travel. It's so handy to be able to wrangle camera and phone chargers rather than have them snag amongst delicates in the suitcase. Again the fabric choices were dictated by the zips I had to hand. (I've never got the right size zip in the right colour!) I have just last night placed an order for more zips. Since I started a huge bedroom declutter I've decided I need more pouches to store things in drawers etc. I'm sure in the next few weeks I'll be making lots more pouches.

Latest sewing

My most recent sewing took me a couple of months of procrastinating and then once I started I had trouble stopping. I'm a PIP a little mini bee organised by Lynz which is proving to be not only low stress but lots of fun and I'm fortunate to be sewing with some lovely talented ladies. In PIP we've all sent a block on to the next person who will add another block and send it on and so on. It's not a traditional round robin and we're keeping the blocks small. The first block I received was from Ethene and she went for a non square curvy improv. She also sent along some of the fabric in the first block so we can all include a little in our blocks to tie all the blocks together.

Ethene's block is on the left and my addition is on the right. It was all very improv although I knew I wanted a curve or two (which I find challenging to think about and easier to just do!). 


Playing with fabric

I've just received the next block I have to add to and I'm hoping I don't take the full allowance of making time to decide exactly what I'm going to do with it!


7 comments:

  1. Lovely pouches, very practical. I agree with you that we, lots of times, dress up more for women than far man!!! Maybe we have to start dressing up for ourselves. Just to feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bee sounds lovely and low stress. The little pouches are so handy and nice to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pouches are lovely. Pouches (not this design but I do keep meaning to have a go at it) are one of my go to present ideas for friends. I love that you choose the fabric based on your lining, mine is often chosen depending on what zips I have in to use.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lost my crafting mojo so am impressed with your sewing efforts over the summer xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your pouches, I particularly love the wide topped ones. A girl can never have enough

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)