Wednesday, 9 September 2015

The last weekend of Summer?

I put socks on to go to book group this week. It's the first time in ages that I've decided that I need proper footwear and not sandals or flip-flops. Socks were a must. Another reminder that summer is coming to an end. Sunday morning the heating (that has been turned down so low it won't come on all summer) came on and woke me up at stupid o'clock in the process. Any day that feels warm and sunny is a blessing and I've been trying to make the most of it.

Saturday I was in a real funk. I actually woke up on Saturday morning and didn't want to get out of bed I felt so low. I wanted to pull the covers back over my head and forget about everything. I did get up and did the usual food shop and then came home and watched rubbish repeats on TV. Eventually I decided I needed to get out with my camera. Lacking motivation I struggled to come up with anywhere to go and didn't feel like expending much energy. I ended up taking Mum and my camera out for a drive. There were so many lovely things I could have photographed, however they always seemed to be in places with no where to park safely. Many of the roads I ventured down were single track. Luckily across the bridge from this mill house there was a pull in and I managed to walk back over the bridge and take a few snaps.


Cuddesdon Mill 

  Bridge of the R.Thame at Cuddesdon

Cows at Cuddesdon

Sunday was bright, warm and sunny and the funk of Saturday had passed so I decided to get some late summer colour ideas for the garden by taking a trip to Waterperry Gardens.  Mum and I had a lovely wander around the gardens.  Thankfully she doesn't mind my constant stopping to take pictures.


Waterperry Gardens in September

September at Waterperry Gardens

  September at Waterperry Gardens

September at Waterperry Gardens

September at Waterperry Gardens

September at Waterperry Gardens

September at Waterperry Gardens


Waterperry Gardens in September

As you can see Waterperry Gardens have plenty of colour right now. Mum bought a couple of Michaelmas Daisies from the nursery and I treated myself to a pair of earrings in The Gallery (a sort of posh craft gallery.) As it was getting near lunch time Mum and I stopped on for lunch. Although, as those who follow me on IG will know, I was not impressed when I sat down with our lunch (collected from the servery) and Mum pointed out a sign on the tables asking people to clear their tables. Don't get me wrong in many establishments I clear my table without being asked. Every time I'm in a MacDonald's type place, or at a greasy spoon type cafe. The week before at the local PYO I walked back inside with our crockery from the outside seating area and even deposited rubbish in the bin as I went. However, the big difference between any of those kinds of places and Waterperry tea shop is the prices. You see Waterperry have a captive audience. There isn't a pub or cafe for miles so if you're out for the day and haven't bought your own lunch, you're going to end up in their cafe. The food is OK. The cake is not cheap and not as nice as it used to be.  I've never had a bad quiche and as Chief says it's the sort of place that you have to like salad because everything comes with salad. I once made the mistake of ordering a roast (rare to see a fully cooked, no salad meal) and I wasn't sure whether to persist in trying to cut the tough beef or re-sole my shoes with it. To my mind if you're going to charge nearly £8.00 for a jacket potato and a small serving of lettuce, tomato and cucumber side salad you should be bringing that hot food to my table not making me queue for it and then expect me to clear away the table afterwards. As it was the racks for the used trays were full (well there was one space at ground level in one of the trolleys. I wasn't about to try bending down to floor level carrying a tray of crockery.) As a protest I stacked my crockery on the tray and left it on the table. I could see quite a few staff members milling about; I'm sure they coped with my militant actions. I'm in no hurry to go back and eat there. 

Still, it didn't spoil our trip out and as the sun was still shining when I got home I sat in the garden and finished my book. I am hoping to do a whole post to catch you up on my latest reads as I know the book recommendations were a popular part of my 10 things posts and I've probably got 10 books to tell you about!


3 comments:

  1. Your heating matched up with mine on Sunday, it was a bit of shock when it decided it was so cold that tit had to turn itself on, I have also began wearing socks for dog walking as it is too cold out there for bare feet. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cone flowers (right name?) are glorious! I'm going to have to have a careful think about late summer colour next year (some Japanese anemone will be added but it may not be enough) but at the moment the Michaelmas daisy is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ! Very nice click,,,Thanks for sharing..
    If you want any help related to yahoo problems Please visit my site yahoo helpline.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)