Sunday, 8 November 2015

Hats, scarves and bags!

I've had a cold - boo hoo. Actually it was pretty mild so I'm not going to grumble. However, I've been trying not to over do things and home cook food from scratch so I get plenty of nutrients. For much of this week, when I've not been at work (thanks to the rubbish weather.). I've been curled up on the sofa knitting or reading. The good news is I've finished my 6th hat and an infinity cowl. The bad news is I've pretty much run out of yarn again. Unless you count the cotton I don't like knitting with and left overs not suitable for my fancy Dr Who scarf.

First off the needles was the rolled brim knit hat - a free Ravelry pattern. I got a couple of balls of Lion Brand Amazing in Roses not knowing how much yarn it would take. (Most of my hats have taken just over a ball.) Amazingly this hat took just one ball with a good bit left over to add to my Fancy Dr Who scarf.

Rolled Brim Knit Hat 

Once I had knitted the left overs into the scarf it was time to turn my attention to the last section of The Timber Scarf. Another free pattern on Ravelry. I had to adjust the stitches for the yarn I was using as it wasn't the same as specified in the pattern. (It was easier to decrease stitches than grow a longer neck, just saying.) The first part of the pattern called for good old garter stitch and the second double moss stitch. The third was a stitch that was a bit holy. I didn't like it. It looked like I'd messed up. It would be better saved for different yarn, thinner yarn, where I'm sure it would look much better.  Nothing for it, I ripped it out and tried rice stitch. The instructions I had were pretty vague. I messed it up.  I ripped it out and decided on stocking stitch. It looked so lovely I ploughed on for the specified amount and cast off. Then I ripped that out because the sides were stupid curly, It was looking more like a tube! I tried again with rice stitch - this time with better instructions. There was more ripping out, I don't know what I did wrong. In the end (after lots of ripping out!) I ended up completing the final section in single moss stitch. It worked a treat.

Timber Cowl

Now with those projects finished and no new yarn I'm having to turn to sewing. So I whipped up a sewing project bag. I only had a fat quarter of these Charley Harper penguins and I wanted to make the pouch a decent width. So I left on the (larger than normal) salvage. It's so satisfying whipping up stuff from stash. If I hadn't faffed about for ages deciding what I wanted to sew and looking for the Leanne Fanny scrap pack I bought ages ago. (Which I think is lost for good.) I may have got on with even more sewing.

Charley Harper Project Bag 

Whilst I was looking for the scrap pack I came across some balls of yarn I'd bought years ago for some creative textiles work. Now I can make sense of the (no longer cryptic) details on the yarn band, I decided to knit up a simple scarf - letting the fancy yarn do the talking. This will be going into Mum's Christmas stocking.

Christmas making

And in case you're curious about the reading: On Halloween I started Others by James Herbert. I'd had it waiting to be read for years. Halloween seemed like the perfect time for a little spooky creepiness. Others is a supernatural love/detective story. It got more disturbing towards the end. But (slightly disappointingly) whilst it was a page turner, it was not the sort of book that kept me awake at night. I'll need to pick a new bath time read. Until then I'm back with the kindle and have started the next book group choice - The Road Home by Rose Tremain. I don't recall reading any of her books before.

4 comments:

  1. You've been a busy girl!! I'm having a giggle at your ripping, too. My Granny's friend had labels made for her about 30 years ago with "hand knitted ny Rip it Back Bett" on them. Stocking stuffer? *g*

    P.S. Took me ages to work out that the knitters term "frogging" is ripping it out - coz you rip it, rip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been a busy girl!! I'm having a giggle at your ripping, too. My Granny's friend had labels made for her about 30 years ago with "hand knitted ny Rip it Back Bett" on them. Stocking stuffer? *g*

    P.S. Took me ages to work out that the knitters term "frogging" is ripping it out - coz you rip it, rip it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing in this article
    I can learn a lot and could also be a reference
    I hope to read the next your article updates

    [-] Vimax Asli
    [-] Vimax
    [-] Vimax Canada
    [-] Obat Vimax
    [-] Pembesar Penis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)