Friday, 11 December 2015

Advent 11: Oxford at Christmas

Languishing in my drafts folder is a half started blog post about a project I started in the summer to photograph Oxford. It's my local home town (although technically it's a city) and even though I've done many of the touristy things over the years I've rarely taken an decent photographs. I decided after I did my Amsterdam Adventure travel blurb book that I'd do an Oxford one. Maybe giving myself 2 - 5 years to explore via day trips etc and capture the city as if I'm seeing it for the first time. I thought it might also make me explore the city a bit more and on the second photography trip I did something I'd never done before - you'll have to wait for that blog post though!

One of the things I really wanted to do was photograph The Covered Market. Which opened in 1774 and was as the name suggests and indoor market. It was apparently built in response to appeals to tidy up the untidy and unsavoury stalls that littered the centre of Oxford. So far from being just an indoor market with stalls it's actually more like a complex of little independent shops. However, if you stop to look there are some lovely details and I've always thought the best time to photograph the market would be at Christmas. Unfortunately I didn't have much time as I had Mum with me, a trip to the Christmas Market planned and some Christmas shopping. So I really was just taking a few quick snaps.

After a few hours we'd done everything we needed to and both of us were ready to go home. Where we've been resting all afternoon. Yes, definitely hibernation mode here.

The Covered Market, Oxford

The Covered Market, Oxford

The Covered Market, Oxford

The Covered Market, Oxford
That's a cake made in the shape
of The Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford!

The Covered Market, Oxford

The Covered Market, Oxford 

The Covered Market, Oxford

4 comments:

  1. Why have I only been to Oxford once since I have lived here? Why?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh a lovely trip down memory lane!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Covered Market is enchanting! Thank you for taking and posting such interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete

  4. If anyone sniper worse than me, I believe he is allu.If there is no one alive that groundwater and salted fish What is the difference.
    _________________________
    I hope you like it: All CS:GO Skins
    I put my thoughts all written here: http://www.csgo4skin.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)